Menu
DisableANES
Just browsing
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Advanced Network Error Search and VPN

I'm an IT admin and one of our users is having issues accessing our servers on site due to ANES (pinging the server name shows the IP address for ANES) over the VPN.

I've asked the user to disable but is there anything in the VPN configuration that would allow me to override ANES? We send all traffic over the VPN so really their device should just use our DNS servers but somehow it's still picking up ANES.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Advanced Network Error Search and VPN

They need to disable it on their account

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
DisableANES
Just browsing
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I was worried that would be the case. It's bad enough trying to support all staff remotely without VM constantly causing new and exciting issues...

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@DisableANES wrote:

Thanks, I was worried that would be the case. It's bad enough trying to support all staff remotely without VM constantly causing new and exciting issues...

It’s not new. ANES has been around for years.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@DisableANES wrote:

We send all traffic over the VPN so really their device should just use our DNS servers but somehow it's still picking up ANES.

If your using MS VPN L2TP/IPses in windows 10 DNS goes out side the VPN you can guess why MS changed  that when windows 7 used the DNS by VPN down the VPN tunnel....and MS got away with it. So using other VPN client software was the only why to stop that...that and run your own bind to 127.0.0.1 (MS tried to get rid of that and failed luckily for us ) then DNS recursion down the tunnel.

you can test this by DNS leak test if VPN is connected and show VM DNS you leaked

Or you can have the user use other DNS server that don't do Error Search.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos