Menu
Pompitous
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Adding range extender knocks out Virgin hub

Dear community, I'm going slightly crazy trying to add a TP-Link TL-WR841N router as a range extender to my Virgin network. I have to do this in order to send WiFi to a cable wired from our garage running down to an office in a shed the other end of the garden.

• I reset and rename my Virgin Hub 3.0 – all fine.
  • Then I add the TP-Link either by configuring it with the TP software, or by WPS PIN via the Virgin configuration settings
  • The TP-Link network starts working fine, but then the main Virgin Network stops working so I start over again by resetting the Virgin hub, and am now in a loop where the same thing happens every time no matter how I configure the extender.

Am I doing something wrong in the setup method, or maybe the TP-Link router is a bad choice for this task? Thanks for any guidance.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Adding range extender knocks out Virgin hub

In all honesty, it's only a wireless n device, so will only broadcast the slower and more crowded 2.4Ghz band

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Pompitous wrote:

Dear community, I'm going slightly crazy trying to add a TP-Link TL-WR841N router as a range extender to my Virgin network. I have to do this in order to send WiFi to a cable wired from our garage running down to an office in a shed the other end of the garden.

• I reset and rename my Virgin Hub 3.0 – all fine.
  • Then I add the TP-Link either by configuring it with the TP software, or by WPS PIN via the Virgin configuration settings
  • The TP-Link network starts working fine, but then the main Virgin Network stops working so I start over again by resetting the Virgin hub, and am now in a loop where the same thing happens every time no matter how I configure the extender.

Am I doing something wrong in the setup method, or maybe the TP-Link router is a bad choice for this task? Thanks for any guidance.

Have you configured the TP-Link to operate as an access point, or is it still in router mode?

Sounds like an IP conflict (looks like the TP-link uses 192.168.0.1 out of the box, which is the same IP address at the hub..) 

Pompitous
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

That's a really good point – I've got a newer dual band Linksys which was somewhere else in the house, but I'll put that in the network instead.
0 Kudos
Pompitous
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Brilliant, that must be the problem, and why I'd try to access the Virgin settings and the TP-Link would come up instead. Sounds like I should retire that box, especially as gary_dexter pointed out, it only works on the slower band. Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos