cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing some websites cause router to reboot

camuc
Tuning in

I have a Hub 3. Among the many devices, I use a gaming laptop from Alienware equipped with a Killer E2400 wifi adapter. 

Like many people report, my router restarts several times per day, which is very annoying, and so far I thought it was random. Yesterday I tried to pay my DVLA road tax and every time I opened the payment page the connection dropped and the router restarted. 
The first time I thought it was a random occurrence.
The second time was just a few minutes after the router restarted, and I thought it just happened randomly as maybe there were still problems with it.
The third time was hours later after a computer restart and after I factory-reset the router (useless suggestion from Virgin Media customer service).

So, there are situations when some content exchanged over HTTPS can cause the router to crash and restart. The payment page is on the UK government website https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax so I really hope that there's nothing dodgy going on there. I wonder how many of the random restarts are caused by similar problems. 

In hindsight, I can remember a few times when trying to make a payment was followed by a router crash. It's easy to remember the panic of not knowing if I had been charged or not. and it happened from various devices, not yust my PC. (at least one iPhone and one iPad). 

I think that this is a bug somewhere in the router's core programs. It worries me a lot to think that the problem surfaces during payments, as it leads me to thinking that content filtering from VM goes far beyond what we know.

20 REPLIES 20

Hi @Jr1312,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am so sorry to hear you have this problem with your router on a specific website. Are you using a VPN at all when you access this website? Does the reboot happen every single time you visit the website, or is it intermittent?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!