Menu
Deborah5
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Accessing internet on non-wifi computer

I have a non-wifi-enabled computer that needs a physical ethernet cable connection to access the internet. Unfortunately, it is located upstairs, away from my Virgin hub. Does anyone know whether it's possible to have an additional hub or other means of connecting this computer to the hub downstairs? There is no telephone socket point upstairs either, so it cannot be connected via the phone line. Thanks in advance for any answers or suggestions.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Accessing internet on non-wifi computer

If you need a wired connection, you need a wired connection. Simple as that.

Cheapest option is Powerline adaptors that use your mains wiring as a network.

I have linked some examples below, but make sure you can return them if they don't work, as some house wiring doesn't.

https://www.argos.co.uk/browse/technology/networking-and-wi-fi/powerline-adapters/c:30071/ 

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It wouldn't connect by a phone line anyway.

You have a few options:

Run a cable to the machine in question
or
Get a USB Wi-Fi adaptor
or
Get some powerline plugs

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Deborah5
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you! That's really helpful.

Amazing that a company as big and wealthy as Virgin relies on its (unpaid) users to run its Help function, mind you.

I really appreciate the help.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Strictly speaking.... this isn't a VM issue... its and issue with your own PC and so unless you subscribe to their "gadget rescue"service they wont help fix equipment that doesn't belong to them.

But we are a helpful bunch on here 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Deborah5 wrote:

Thank you! That's really helpful.

Amazing that a company as big and wealthy as Virgin relies on its (unpaid) users to run its Help function, mind you.

I really appreciate the help.

Well,

A. It's not Virgin's issue to resolve

B. They have a helpline for other issues that's manned by their paid staff

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos