Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Access denied on various websites

Hi all,

I have been a Virgin customer for almost 4 years and this is the first time I have seen an issue like this.

When I try to connect to various websites (ikea, next, steamstore etc) I get a message the following:

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "www.next.co.uk/" on this server.

Reference #18.afe11602.1593286064.bd507bb

The reference changes each time I attempt to navigate to those websites but the access denied is consistent. 

This is a brand new problem that I have never seen until yesterday.

I have reset the router, i have cleared my browser cache, I have attempted to use multiple browsers and I have also attempted to navigate to those sites using different devices (phones etc) but nothing seems to work.

It is strange because the internet is working as expected for the most part. I can stream video, play games and surf most of the web apart from some specific pages we have tried.

I spent nearly 90 minutes on hold to customer service today and had to give up in the end!

Any advice would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Access denied on various websites

Can you access them if you put the hub into modem mode?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gary,

I have just switched to modem mode and I can access all of the previously denied websites. Any idea what that means?

Wired connections are not viable as a long term solution for my household so hopefully its something fixable!

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

It means your public IP is blocked with the web hosts.

You get a different public IP when in Modem or Router Modes.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

How do you switch to modem mode because we are having exactly the same issue?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

You can switch to modem mode by connecting to the Hub on 192.168.0.1 and logging on with the Hub's password. But you will then lose WiFi and all but one ethernet connection. 

This is not a real fix for the problem, which is that your IP address has been logged as one that been involved in illicit activity of some sort. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I have no idea how this might have happened at all.

I have searched my public IP against some "IP blacklist" websites and only 1 place comes up as having the IP blacklisted. The reason given is that its a dynamic IP? 

The exact response is - "This IP has been flagged because it is dynamic or by suspect to be domestic use only"

I have no idea what to do at this point - I am not an IT wizz and all we want to do is some shopping online! 

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Sorry Wise Owl.

I presume you mean the networks current faults have caused an error that implies wrongly that our IP has to quote you “ Done something Illicit” because that is not an acceptable piece of advice you should be giving as it is totally incorrect.

All of the people that are suddenly experiencing this issue at the same time is not a coincidence.

It seems inappropriate to suggest anything illicit has occurred by anybody? Our system was working fine and then we couldn’t order a pair of spectacles for our daughter??? Yet we could order from EBay? We can watch TV no problem? We can watch Netflix no problem, surely all of this is pointing to our IP? Maybe you could be clearer on your comment?

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

no VM have nothing to do with this. The website owners are using a service that blacklists and the sites are blocking them ip addresses.

This is not something VM can control and not something they are allowed to bypass.

under the computer misuse act any site/admin has the right to control access to there servers. If i for example banned your IP form my server i am denying you acces to the server.
Under the computer misuse act accessing a computer you are not autherised to access is illegal.
By banning your IP address they are denying you access to the server resource.

that is there legal right

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Some tracerts to a blocked site whilst in router mode and modem mode would also help 

0 Kudos