Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Access Point "Internet may not be available"

Hi all.

Forced to sign up for the forum as I need help and sick of trying to get it from Virgin themselves.

I have a lot of stuff hooked up to the internet via ethernet (3 TP-Link unmanaged gigabit switches to deal with it all + cat7 cables as the building I live in has noisy electrical stuff in the underground level and I'm on the ground floor)

Now I also have a TP-Link RE305 AC1200 Access Point which works well.  Due to another access point I had set up not working properly I decided to buy another TP-Link RE305 AC1200.

However this one just doesn't seem to work with the Hub3.

I have set it up as an access point, with a different SSID as having 2 x the same SSID (as both units are the same) was a little confusing.

Encryption is set to WPA2-PSK with the rest on auto.

Custom channel to avoid overlap + custom password.

Which is exactly how I have the older AC1200 set up (this older one works fine)

It shows it's connected to the router when you log in and look at the listed devices. The blue lights for both WiFi bands are on solid blue so I believe it is connected.

I also have an Edimax BR-6288ACL AC600 multi-function unit, which I've set up as an access point and that too works.

So does anyone know why this 2nd TP-Link RE305 AC1200 is not working when it IS literally set up the same way the older one is which, as said, DOES work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Access Point "Internet may not be available"

So if you unplug the working TP-Link RE305 AC1200 and plug in the other one in the same place does it work?

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The above advice actually isn't a bad shout, removing the original device and just trying the second one should ascertain if the unit is faulty or not.

I wasn't familiar with the devices themselves so looked up and had a read through the manual, the first thing is that these aren't actually 'access points' but rather wifi extenders (and these can always be a bit problematic), which require a reasonable wifi signal from the VM Hub which they 'rebroadcast', if you like at the point where they are placed. You say that they have a solid blue light on them which should indicate that they have connected OK and are showing up on the Hub's connected devices, so it seems like at is all fine.

Now this might sound like a stupid question but how do you know that the second device isn't working? Can you connect to the wifi broadcast by it but don't have any internet connectivity? If so then what IP address are you getting?

It looks as if the devices come preset to be on an IP address of 192.168.0.254 so you can't actually have them both configured exactly the same otherwise you'll get an address clash, is DHCP enabled on both or either of them - really it should be disabled on both and just let the Hub do DHCP? I suspect is going to turn out to be an IP addressing issue at the end of the day.

John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It doesn't work from any of the switches.
Or any of the ports.
Yet it is showing up in the listed devices on the router and the WiFi broadcast lights on the access point seem to point to it working.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

They're repeaters and access points.
You can tell it how to act via it's web based setup page.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Oh and doing what you ask seems to make the hub3 (which is a brand new one) lose internet requiring it to have a hard reset.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

NOTE: it says "failed" on the 1st image simply because I'm setting this up from a mini PC that only has 1 LAN port as it's the only PC I have at home that has WiFi access which you apparently need to use to set all these devices up.

Even my gaming PC only has 1 LAN port so can't do it from that (even though it's socket 2011v3)TP-Link access point set up - 001.jpgTP-Link access point set up - 002B.jpgTP-Link access point set up - 003B.jpgTP-Link access point set up - 004.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So its faulty.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I doubt 2 devices in a row will be faulty with the exact same issue though it isn't outside the realms of possibility.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

What happens if you connect the RE305 directly to the hub with an Ethernet cable?

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos