Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Abysmal internet connection

Can anyone advise how to book an engineer to check my internet connection I have tried to on my virgin media but have got nowhere it just takes you round in circles.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Abysmal internet connection

More information would help.

What exactly are the issues?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have a m350 router which would appear to be fine the internet goes down continuously and when I switch on the television get the message Wi Fi connected no internet service.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thats not evidence that you need an engineer to visit - VM will need more. So are you problems only evident on wifi connected devices? What happens to connections when you connect a computer/laptop/etc on an ethernet cable?

Also what happens if you plug the TV into the Hub by ethernet cable? Even just temporarily with the cable traipsing over the floors whilst you "test" it?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Unfotunately I am unable to do as you say as the router is installed in an upstairs bedroom and I unable to move it as this is the only connection point. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Unable to do what? Can you not plug a device into the Hub upstairs with ethernet cable - just while you test. 10/20/50 meter runs of Cat5e cable are less than a tenner and useful for testing purposes over longer distances - stick it in the "bits drawer" when done.

That aside, it does sound as if the issue is the wifi connection over that distance - are you using a VM V6 tv box by any chance.

Try a wifi scanning App whilst at the TV location and see if it is detecting your Hub's wifi SSID as a good strong signal there?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Do you have any wired devices at all you can connect to test? PC, Laptop etc?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No a Tivo box also I am 68 years old and don't fancy running up and down stairs with a 50 inch tv. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

That's why I suggested a roll of ethernet cable 🙂

However ignore that for now - lets see if we can get to the root of the issue.

As you say you have a TiVo box (& not a V6) that box connects to the internet directly via its co-ax white cable connection and not via ethernet to the Hub. So there is no wifi or ethernet cable connection needed between the TV and the Tivo and the only connection it needs is a HDMI connection. So, if the TV is reporting "no internet connection" it must be a VM connection issue to the TiVo..

So - are the normal TV channels all connecting and displaying ok? What about the programme guide - is that up to date? Then, can you connect via the TiVo to internet specific content - such as BBC iPlayer, catch up TV, or one of its Apps like Youtube,?

Finally, are there any reported known faults As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I checked it states no known problems with broadband in this area, I have just done a speed test which reads download 190mbps upload 36.7mbps I believe it should be nearer the 350mbps although I may be wrong this is why I was trying to request an engineer but I'm obliged for your assistance.

0 Kudos