Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

ASUS Router to Hub 3 with TV

Hi all.

Newbie here... 😊

So ..

Got virgin media with broadband and tv.

I’m going to connect an ASUS router to the Hub 3 to improve the WiFi coverage. The Ethernet cable that came with the Hub goes from Port 1 to the Virgin TV box. Can I connect the ASUS using Port 2 leaving the TV connection in the Hub 3 in Port 1?

if not, how do I connect the ASUS?

Cheers.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: ASUS Router to Hub 3 with TV

@CHEDDER008 wrote:

Hi all.

Newbie here... 😊

So ..

Got virgin media with broadband and tv.

I’m going to connect an ASUS router to the Hub 3 to improve the WiFi coverage. The Ethernet cable that came with the Hub goes from Port 1 to the Virgin TV box. Can I connect the ASUS using Port 2 leaving the TV connection in the Hub 3 in Port 1?

if not, how do I connect the ASUS?

Cheers.

You can, but the general recommendation is to use the hub in "modem mode" and use the Asus as the main router, which would result in the ASUS being the only device connected to the hub and the TV plugging into one of the ASUS ports..

If you don't want to use modem mode, then you'll need to configure the ASUS to be an access point rather than a router (depending on what model you have, this could just be a toggle switch somewhere in the asus management pages) so that it just provides wifi services and doesn't deal with dhcp and NAT etc..

CHEDDER008
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Awesome! Knew you guys would help. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just to add it would be a total waste of an ASUS router just to use it as an access point. Modem mode would be the way to go.
Even if it's only to allow a change of DNS it would be worth it 🙂
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Adduxi wrote:
Just to add it would be a total waste of an ASUS router just to use it as an access point. Modem mode would be the way to go.
Even if it's only to allow a change of DNS it would be worth it 🙂

with respect - just your opinion - i do exactly what you consider a waste of time - it works 100% for me - position of hub4 means its convenient to have its lan ports working and asus router 2 floors down is great for wifi - so horses for courses

Tony
0 Kudos
CHEDDER008
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Way over my head. Just wanted a better router than the VM Hub! I’ll stick to what is the simplest and most effective boost to WiFi around my house, for my knowledge base 🤦🏻‍♂️😁

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@-tony- wrote:

with respect - just your opinion - i do exactly what you consider a waste of time - it works 100% for me - position of hub4 means its convenient to have its lan ports working and asus router 2 floors down is great for wifi - so horses for courses

Absolutely, horses for courses.  It wouldn't do if we were all the same 🙂

0 Kudos