Menu
Clghhhhh
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

ANES turning off

I’ve turned this off via the web link but it’s still turned on and causing issues connecting to my work servers.  Home hub 3 in modem mode. Could this be the cause?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: ANES turning off

Have you tried changing your DNS?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Clghhhhh
Tuning in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I can’t as it’s a work laptop

0 Kudos
Clghhhhh
Tuning in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

A search of this forum shows its a common problem but haven’t yet found a fix

0 Kudos
Clghhhhh
Tuning in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Do virgin media technical support read these forum posts?

Tried calling but it cuts me off and sends a text message basically saying ‘turn it off and on again’ which didn’t fix anything. Is there a number to call to actually speak to someone?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@Clghhhhh wrote:

Do virgin media technical support read these forum posts?

Tried calling but it cuts me off and sends a text message basically saying ‘turn it off and on again’ which didn’t fix anything. Is there a number to call to actually speak to someone?

VM staff do read these forums.. not sure they have an answer for this one though - as someone else pointed out, it's a fairly common problem/complaint around here and I don't recall seeing a resolution for it recently.

if you work machine doesn't allow you to change your dns servers then you're only other "workaround" is to get your own router and put the hub in modem mode.. most routers will allow you to configure the dns servers that are handed out via dhcp, so you can configure it there and use google/cloudflare instead of VMs

0 Kudos
Clghhhhh
Tuning in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I have the hub3 already in modem mode and then connected to my own router. So I can change some settings in my own router to change to a google dns? That doesn’t mean much to me I’m afraid! Can you give me some pointers on how to do this?

tia

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Clghhhhh wrote:

Thanks, I have the hub3 already in modem mode and then connected to my own router. So I can change some settings in my own router to change to a google dns? That doesn’t mean much to me I’m afraid! Can you give me some pointers on how to do this?

tia

what router do you have?

log into your routers management pages and find the DHCP server settings.. within there, you should be able to change the DNS servers that are handed out to the clients on your network.. they're probably set to defaults at the moment, which is likely the router itself.. change the configuration so that you have 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 listed (or 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1). save the settings and then either reboot the laptop or refresh it's IP configuration (ipconfig /renew at a command prompt on a windows machine).  

0 Kudos
Clghhhhh
Tuning in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your guidance - that appears to have sorted it as a workaround and removed dns hijacking.  Glad I had my own router rather than using the hub3!

virgin media have a great business model here don’t they?! Make it impossible to speak to their own staff therefore saving money and giving helpful customers noddy kudos badges to solve tech problems for them! No doubt they’ll come along on this forum now and claim they resolved the issue! 

thanks again

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

If you are using your own Router, and had the savvy to do so, why on earth did you use VM DNS servers?  One of the advantages of using your own IT kit is choice. There are plenty of far better DNS servers than VM offer.

And yes, we are noddy users just trying to help 😉

0 Kudos