Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

5Ghz Signal Strength has Disappeared

I've enjoyed 5 pretty much flawless years with Virgin broadband, but about a week or so ago our 5Ghz network signal strength has gone through the floor

What used to work seamlessly throughout the house now no longer extends to the kitchen or the back bedroom at all

Worse, the signal strength in the office has disappeared so much that the wireless printer will only connect to the 2.4G network, while the Mac is on the 5G, meaning one can't talk to the other

I've rebooted twice, with no improvement. I've run the basic test on the MyVirgin portal with nothing identified. I've logged into the Hub IP address and run the Diagnostic tool there and it did return an error screen - see attached - but no suggestions what to do about it

The conditions the Hub operates within have not changed, but suddenly the service it provides has drastically reduced. If anyone from VM is reading this and can help it will be much appreciated

Screenshot .png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: 5Ghz Signal Strength has Disappeared

Fairly typically, the screenshot loaded in the preview window perfectly but has not attached to my post
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot .jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

This is a "community help" forum - VM people do read the threads and help when they can - it can take a few days to get to them.
In the meantime, screenshots dont load instantly for obvious reasons. Needs mods approval - yours was done quickly. Also, you dont say what Hub model it is - if its the Hub3 - have you tried disabling channel optimisation and separating the 2.4 & 5 GHz SSID's ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Yes it's a Hub 3.0

By "separating the 2.4 & 5 GHz SSID's" do you mean splitting them out as separate networks that can be selected by a device as a choice? In which case yes, been that way for about 3 years. If you mean something else, please explain and I'll look into it

I have now disabled channel optimisation, will see if that makes any difference

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Yep renaming SSID's.   Just check it is still that way - it may have reset itself somehow !
You could try going into the settings where you can "disable" the 5GHz wifi band - save and apply. Then go back in and switch it on again - it might help !

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

ok, cool. Networks are still individually named as 5G and 2.4

Disabling Channel Optimisation didn't make any difference unfortunately, neither did switching 5G on and off again (apart from also making 2.4 disappear too so every device lost its connection!)

Now back to "as you were" settings!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

download inSSIDer or similar and look at what networks are around you and what bands and channels they are using - it sounds like a better more powerful router has been installed near you and is killing your 5 band - if you find it is that change the channel on the 5 band

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

So I went into the Security Advanced Settings

Under the list of connected devices, its showing everything as connected to 2.4

But my iphone and Mac are both ticked as connected to 5G.

Is this connected? I've attached screengrabs again 

Screenshot 2019-12-09 at 16.32.18.pngScreenshot 2019-12-09 at 16.33.52.pngIMG_3991.jpeg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the tip. Inssider doesn't work for Mac, do you happen to know of a similar free tool that is Mac friendly?

0 Kudos