Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

5GHz network keeps loosing internet connection

Dear Community,

I am observing a number of discussions about 5GHz/Hub3 issues, none of which result in a clear answer/solution.

For a couple of weeks now,  all my devices connected to the 5G network come to a standstill as far as Internet is concerned. Ethernet is fine, and 2.4G is fine-ish - an additional symptom is that after my devices switch to 2.4G, my smart home devices, which were on the 2.4G to begin with, stop responding. Anyway this is less important at the moment, I am assuming its due to the fact that my some devices do not mix with the dual band stuff, like the laptop, the iPad, etc.

The link from Virgin is fine - I steadily get an IP address. No reported issues in my area. The 5G network connects back to Internet after the hub reboot, but I can't continue rebooting the hub several times a day.

I had a similar issue after I first got this hub - it was then attributed to Apple connectivity issues, and was somehow resolved on its own.

Also not quite sure if my network speed even on the 2.4G wi-fi should be less than 65-70Mb down, assuming I am on Vivid200. 

I am exhausted by the reboots. I have different names for 5G/2G, I have switched 5G network off and on. I have played a bit with authentication types. Nothing helps. It really looks like the hub issue. 

Would appreciate a fresh idea. All devices (apart from the PC connected via Ethernet) are Apple, home devices are Amazon Alexa, Eufy/Anker and Kasa/TP-Link.

Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: 5GHz network keeps loosing internet connection

Up to 70 Mbps speeds is normal for 2.4 GHz wifi devices with 2 aerials operating in 20 MHz mode.  Only faster speeds may be achievable on 5 GHz wifi as AC wifi supports up to 80 MHz mode.

fwiw, if Virgin refuse to replace the Hub 3 (or replacement suffers from same symptoms), have you considered installing a better gigabit wifi router, connected to Hub 3 in 'modem mode' ?

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Bob8, thank you for your reply and the info about the speed. I did not know what is considered normal for the 2.4GHz network. Glad this is not something I should worry about.

As for a new router/using Hub 3 as a modem - I guess this is going to be my only way out, unless Virgin comes up with a  solution which fixes the hub.

Dear Virgin people, please advise. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi torquaycat,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I am sorry for the broadband issues. I have ran a background check and can see there's no current issues showing, however you do have a hub 2 router. 

If you'd like, we can replace this router free of charge for you.

Please let me know if you'd like to proceed.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi, John_GS,

thank you for your response and apologies for the delay with mine.

i had indeed realized during the weekend that mine is Super Hub 2, not 3 (I never checked then  label, just saw f/w version 3.11 in the GUI and automatically assumed mine is hub 3, sorry for the confusion).

I have not seen many complaints on the internet regarding hub 2 and the 5GHz network... unlike hub 3 - looks like a lot of people are having issues.

i very much appreciate your offer of changing my hub to hub 3. Question: will it be possible to keep hub 2 after the swap? 

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi torquaycat,

Thanks for coming back to me. In relation to the query, the hub 2 we don't need back. However, it won't be usable because it'd be replaced by the hub 3. 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Had same problem needed new hub been few weeks now and it’s started again not sure why

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I had the same problem my hub3 had be replaced 

your engineer changed it but now I’m having trouble with WiFi buffering 

you can be on Netflix or you tube Facebook and it slow or freezes 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi, John_GS,

I would like to take you up on the offer to replace my hub with hub 3. 
I have played a bit with channels, it worked for a week, but the data transmission issues are back now.

What do i need to do to get hub 3?
thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

My Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get 220mbps on my Vivid200 wifi connection - but only when I put them onto the 5GHz network. Sat in the same spot if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network, they max out at 70-80mbps - it's just the limitations of the technology!

So if devices are 5GHz capable make sure that is the network they are connected to.

Hub3 wifi is not great per se, swapping for another Hub3 is unlikley to fix your issue.
You say you have renamed the SSID's - did you also "disable channel optimisation" ?

If nothing helps... do as I and many others do, put your Hub into modem mode and use your own routing and wireless equipment.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.