Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

5 Static IP, Hitron modem mode, 2 routers

Hi I’m after a bit of advice please 

Because of some I need to do I will need to use a Cisco vpn router but keep a separate one for home use/WiFi etc

instead of running 2 lines I’ve been advised to switch to VB with the Hitron router in modem mode and 5 static IP. fine

SO I’ll be going from a SHUB 3 with all my settings for fixed IP addresses for kit on the home network (pc, cctv etc) to firstly setting up an Asus RT87u as the main router (SHUB in modem mode) and then then Swapping out to the Hitron which will also be in modem mode

SO:

1) when the new line goes in will 1 static IP be assigned to the Asus and 1 to the Cisco router? And both can run off the Hitron?

I’ll be expected to sort my personal Asus but company will sort the wan on the Cisco router 

2) in the meantime when the Asus router arrives if I put the SHUB in modem mode and enter all the relevant fixed IPs I’ve created for the cctv, home server etc will i have to redo this step when it’s connected to the Hitron (and now working off the assigned static IP instead of the normal Single dynamic IP)?

3) even more basic question. When I get the  Asus I will want to upgrade the firmware first. When I connect it to the SHUB (still in router mode) will that cause any issues or do I have to first put it in modem mode before I can even connect the Asus?

Appreciate all the advice. With wfh and kids online school the last thing I want it to screw up online access!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: 5 Static IP, Hitron modem mode, 2 routers

Hello

1) I am afraid that you will not be able to run the Hitron in Modem only mode if you have static IP addresses as the static IP addresses needed a GRE tunnel which can only be setup on the Hitron. In fact with the  GRE tunnel enabled there is no modem mode as the firmware is different for static IP addresses.

2) The setting on your ASUS will not change and should still work with no issues.

3) Firmware updating is normally done by downloading file and the using the web interface to upgrade/upload the firmware.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike

In terms of how the kit behaves forget modem mode per se if Hitron is in “supporting static IPs” mode (for want of a better word) will the same principle apply ?

I connect the Asus to 1 lan port and my equipment to the Asus for DHCP?

And connect the Cisco router to another lan port on the Hitron ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hello

When in router mode it will work the same as the hub 3 except your VPN router will have one static IP and another static IP for your ASUS router. So all setting on ASUS will not have to be changed, and you will be able to firmware update it.

Regards Mike

39 years in IT.
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Also I know of this https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/11/uk-virgin-media-business-static-ip-users-suffer-unstab...

So beware of some issues.

Regards Mike

39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Apologies for being thick Mike but just to check this comment:

“When in router mode it will work the same as the hub 3”

The hub3 will be in modem mode when used with the Asus so did you mean the Hitron with the static IPs would behave the same as the hub3 in modem mode (with respect to connecting other routers to it etc)?

im assuming so as the Hitron will have static IP and no WiFi and the other router will provide the DHCP?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

When the Hitron in in router mode with static IP addresses you assign the IP addresses to each device and although in router mode, it is only routing the traffic to each relevant device, so the WAN on the ASUS will have 1 IP address and the WAN on VPN router will have a different IP address, all other internal leases are handed out by your VPN router and ASUS router.

Regards Mike

39 years in IT.
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Perfect 

thank you for your patience 😃

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hello

No problems always around to help VM customers out, take care and be safe.

Regards Mike

39 years in IT.
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Just trying to plan ahead and get my ahead around this.

when I’ve given the 5 x IP range usable addresses the Hitron will use the first one and so I assign the Asus the next one (and when it arrived the Cisco will be given another of this batch)

Am I right that on the routers the, the GATEWAY address is the same as the IP of the Hitron?

What will the Subnet address be?

0 Kudos