Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

3rd party router

Now totally fed up with the awful Hub 4, I'm wondering...

Can I simply replace this with a decent 3rd party router?

Just simply plug in the existing ethernet cable from the TiVo box?

Or is it not that simple?

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 3rd party router

you can't "replace" it.
you can put it into modem mode, and then purchase a router.
the virgin hub needs to remain in place as the modem though.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

To use your own router you need to put the Hub into modem mode (from the advanced settings page in the Hub) and connect your router's WAN ethernet socket to one of the Hub's ethernet sockets.  Your V6 and any other wired kit would then connect to the ethernet ports on your router and your router (assuming it's a wifi router) would then be used for all wired and wifi connections.

There's lots of advice on here about which router to buy if you do a forum search (just make sure it's a cable router and NOT an ADSL/VDSL router). 

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

A decent mid-high range ASUS or TP-Link router will do you well 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

How do I put into modem mode? This is a Hub 4 and I have no info on it unlike I had with the previous hub.
To be honest though, my problem is not with WiFi but with internet connectivity so I've doubts the Hub will be up to the job as a modem either
0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

you have no choice but to use it as a modem.
what is your actual issue with internet activity? might help to know what it is before suggesting a router, as it might be a line issue.

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@Grumpy-auld-man wrote:
How do I put into modem mode? This is a Hub 4 and I have no info on it unlike I had with the previous hub.
To be honest though, my problem is not with WiFi but with internet connectivity so I've doubts the Hub will be up to the job as a modem either

To put it in modem mode see the link in my original reply - you need to scroll down a bit on that page.

Tuning in
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Internet connectivity problem is that it keeps disappearing! Connection drops and is then restored by restarting the Hub 4. This began with the arrival of the Hub 4 in August; I started recording the occasions and from 3 Sept I have now had at least 51 losses of service. On first name terms with customer services (!) but only their level 2 techs can deal with Hub 4. Three times they have tweaked settings (supposedly) and confirmed the line is fine and the Hub "will be fine now". Have now stated my intention to leave and at last they are sending a replacement Hub, but from comments elsewhere on these boards I am not optimistic. Hence my enquiries about how to move forwards...

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

post your hub line stats, as you it might be a line issue and replacing the hub would make no difference in this instance (same as using your own router would make no difference).

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Is it wired connections dropping or wireless?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos