Menu
marbab
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

3rd party router drastically slows down wifi

Hi All, 

I've joined VM a month ago. Broadband speed is brilliant - around 225Mbps, but only in the living room (where the hub 3 is located). In other rooms in my small house speed drops to 30Mbps which is very strange. Internet disconnections forced me to switch hub to a modem mode and use my Draytek vigor 2762ac. Took me a while to configure it, but .... now my speed dropped from 225 to 30-60Mbps in living room. For about 30mins it reached around 210, but then dropped again. 

Has anyone had similar issues? Could you please advice what could I reach the proper speed? 

Many thanks

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: 3rd party router drastically slows down wifi

What are wired speeds like with the Draytek?

---------------------------------------------------------------
marbab
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for reply. Wired are correct around 220Mbps. What I can't understand that my wifi was about the same speed only for a half an hour yesterday.

0 Kudos
marbab
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So basically it looks like that:

* 3.0 hub - 220Mbps in the same room, 30  other rooms, internet disconnections

* draytek - around 30-60Mbps, 220Mps wired.

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

• Check all the set up and config on the Draytek router
  • Are any QoS rules set?
  • Confirm it's the AC version of the router - presumably it is, and offers 5GHz Wi-Fi. There is a N only version.
  • Are devices connecting to 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz?  Are the bands 'separated' with different SSIDs or one SSID for both bands?  Try changing that.
  • Is it on an auto setting or manual?  Try changing.
  • What Wi-Fi channels are in use?  Do they clash with neighbours?  Use an analyser app to see.  Change channels as necessary.
  • What bandwidth are the wifi channels set to - be 'neighbourly' on 2.4 GHz but look to use wider (20/40/80 MHz) settings on 5GHz
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
archercj
Dialled in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I havent got your 3rd party router hardware but I had a similar issue. I've got Gig1 but invested in Asus Mesh due to poor wifi coverage despite having a Virgin Extender. Did a bit of configuration then a few speed tests. Was getting around 200Mbps. After a LOT of playing around I found the culprit to be QoS. I had configured it to allow Teams and other similar traffic through as priority as the issue I had was jittering when streaming. Once I disabled QoS the speed went up to 900Mbps.

I reckon the QoS service on the router had an impact on its processor.

marbab
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.

I must admit I'm not an expert and it is possible draytek needs some more settings adjusting (andy advises welcome 🙂 ), but I used exatly the same settings as on my hub 3.0 - Split 2.4 and 5Ghz, both have the same password, both set to auto, but also tried channel 11 for 2.4Ghz. My draytek is definitely AC version.

I used the same settings as were used on hub3, so that's what makes me wonder - hub keeps 220Mbps all the time in the living room, draytek only for a short period of time. I. e. it is ok, draytek is showing over 200Mbps in every room.

Will try to run the analyze and infrom about the results.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Keep us posted!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7