cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

350M download speeds

ScouseP
Tuning in

Hi,

We've very recently moved up to a 350M service (previous was 200M). Before, we were always getting a steady 200 - 220 download, both wired and wireless. Since the 350M connection was activated (new Hub3) the speeds have stuck at around the 250 mark. Upload speeds are consistent with a 350 connection (at around 36). I have conducted tests on the Hub, both in router and modem mode, using directly wired connections to my mac. As well as wireless connections via my own router (hub in modem mode). In ALL circumstances the results remain the same 250 download (max) and 36 upload. I have screenshots of the reports, from the hub. As well as speed tests in the various setups tested. Is there anyway to attach a document here, so I can share the results and submit to the forum's wisdom?

Cheers

48 REPLIES 48

Hi,

Thanks for that. So, does the fact that I'm not seeing anything close to 10 for the downstream channels indicate that there might be an issue on the HUB itself? The highest figure I'm seeing this morning is 3.7. Lowest is 2.

Thanks

Frank

This wouldn't indicate an issue as this is pretty much slap bang in the middle of the -6 - 10 range.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi All,

Apologies for the delay in coming back. There was a delay in the delivery of my replacement mesh router. But it arrived, yesterday, and I've been able to get everything set up and running, again, today. The good news is that the new device has made a world of difference and Wi-Fi throughout the house is great again. But, just for the record, I conducted tests using the HUB3 in ROUTER mode, this morning, with Wi-Fi enabled and the results were as follows:

Ethernet Connection to HUB3 - 216 download / 37 upload

Wi-Fi Connection to HUB3, laptop near to HUB = 300 download / 37 upload

Wi-Fi Connection to HUB3, laptop at rear of house = 9 download / 5 upload

Wi-Fi Connection to HUB3, laptop in upstairs office = 64 download / 37 upload

The upstairs office sits directly above the room that contains the HUB. 

Overall, the decision to use the HUB only in MODEM mode is supported by the demonstrable drop off in Wi-Fi performance anywhere other than right next to the HUB. With my own router and one mesh node I'm getting much better Wi-Fi performance in the same three areas of the house. So as an issue the discussion has become somewhat moot. However, all the research has led to some questions which, perhaps, the more technical amongst you may be able to answer for me:

1. I'm seeing power (dBmV) ranges between 2 to 4.4 on the downstream channels - is this the power from the antenna in the HUB? 

2. Why is the same value for the upstream channels so much higher (typically 38 to 44)?

3. SNR (Signal to noise ratio?) is between 38 - 40. What does this represent - does this mean signal at 40% or noise at 40%?

4. What do the modulation figures of 256qam (Downstream), 64qam (Upstream), represent. Is this configurable?

Apologies for the questions (especially if they're dumb). But, I won't learn if I don't ask.

Cheers

Frank

cje85
Trouble shooter

1. The power shown is that of the incoming signal, it is not related to WiFi. It should be between -6 and +10, so the figures you're seeing are perfect.

2. Upstream requires more power as it operates in a noisy part of the spectrum. Depending on the distance to your local cabinet anything between 34 to 50 is normal, so again your figures are good.

3. Signal to noise ratio means the signal is 38dB stronger than noise on the line. 36-40dB is normal, so everything is spot on there too.

4. Modulation is complicated but if you're really interested have a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrature_amplitude_modulation In a nutshell it relates to how much data can be transmitted. It is not something you can configure but it will adjust itself if necessary. For instance, upstream can drop to 32QAM or 16QAM if there is a noise problem on the line. 64QAM is the optimal figure for upstream and 256QAM for downstream. 

Thank you for the update @ScouseP.

We are glad to hear your service has improved since getting a mesh system. Please continue to monitor your service and let us know if you need further help.

In regards to your question, were the great answers given by @cje85 helpful?

Thanks, 

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks very much, all, for the support and especially this most recent information.

Frank

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @ScouseP,

Thanks for coming back to us about your issue. How is your connection doing at the moment?

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

Thanks! 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi,

2.4Ghz is an issue but, after all the support here, and my own investigations I think we can safely say that it's a "me" problem. I have my own router and internal mesh network - everything on 5Ghz and 6Ghz is fantastic - getting up to 380Mbps most of the time. In short it's not a provider issue - the modem is delivering perfectly fine and, for the most part, my own router and mesh node is pushing the Wi-Fi signal to all areas of the house.

Thanks

Frank

Thanks for letting us know ScouseP, if you do need us again in the future please don't hesitate to get back in touch with us and we'll be happy to do what we can to assist.

Rob