Menu
Bikram123
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

30mbps on a 200mbps package?

honestly expected better, recently joined to virgin media and thought i’d get fantastic speed, everything is connected perfectly according to the manual they sent with the quick start. prior to signing up i was told i would receive at minimum 107mbps, so why is it in most areas around the house i’m getting 30?! i’ve been trying to speak to an advisor for hours even as i type this i’m on hold and have been for over an hour. extremely tempted to cancel as i’m in the cooling off period. anyone have any clue why my broadband is so slow? 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: 30mbps on a 200mbps package?

speed guarantees are for wired connections. not wifi

What speeds do you get wired with a gigabit network card
0 Kudos
Bikram123
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

admittedly i haven’t been able to check that as we use desktop pcs at home, aside from that any other way or checking? (could always bring the pic downstairs to check) i did ask an advisor if i could have the port where to coax cables goes into upstairs so we could utilise wired connectivity but was told they wouldn’t do that. i remember asking specifically when joining if it would be possible but was told to “see how it goes on wireless and we will fix it it needs be by moving the wall socket upstairs if required” not sure what to do. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

A device connecting on the 2.4 wifi band will only ever get around 30-70 Mbps (my iPhone 7 gets about 60-70 on my 2.4 band and 220 Mbps on the 5) - so you will need to test a 5GHz capable device connected to that band. Are yours' connecting on the 2.4 or 5 GHz band? Are the PC's and other devices capable of connecting on the 5GHz band.  To make certain...

If you go into the Hub and rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's. Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) -- use the same password if you like, Then, apply settings and restart the Hub. Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device.

See if that improves the connections

You could also get a 20-50 meter run of Cat5e cable for less than a tenner and just connect the PC to that temporarily for an hour or two to test the speeds etc - then put the cable back in the bits drawer.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos