cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 engineers - rewired house - new router - net drops every hour each day - please help

Proteus
Dialled in

Proteus_0-1675848402638.png

This is today's BQM.

Every hour, each red spike, even the small ones, cause my router to drop out.

3 engineers have been unable to fix it.

I am a Twitch streamer and I'm unable to stream because of this issue.

The last engineer who arrived said everything is fine but it is obviously not or this wouldn't be happening.

Can virgin media staff please contact me again?

20 REPLIES 20

Proteus
Dialled in

The internet has been dropping approximately every hour for 4 months.

It usually happens at around 26 minutes past each hour.

The last senior engineer said the line looked perfect but unfortunately it isnt and I will have to keep asking for support and engineers until it is fixed.

The light on the router will quickly flash when it drops, it is hard to catch but i have noticed it.

I need some sort of resolution to this as engineers keep telling me nothing is wrong but there definitely is and the BQM shows it.

Below is the past 24 hours, each small red line is also a dropout, not just the long ones.

As you can see, i can't keep a consistent connection and this is stopping me from staying online.

Proteus_0-1675935902284.png

Look at my post here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/High-Latency-packet-drops-and-disconnection...

I had exactly the same problem on Hub4. This was replaced with Hub 5 and while red spikes are no longer displayed on tue BQM I still get regular drop outs even on wired connection, lits of yellow latency spikes this morning... Keps throwing ne out fron every other gane and conference calls. Its absolutely shocking... I totally know what you gping through. All the best 

So a hub 5 won't work? I have Hub 4. I know we shouldnt have to do this but i need a resolution, have you tried putting it in modem mode and using your own router? Virgin media seem so useless and if getting myself a new router works ill try it.

his is where I struggle with this mate - I strongly believe that by paying so much money we should get both equally good products: service and equipment. If we are to use our own devices - the price you pay should reflect that.

Anyway... I am being told on this forum to use my own router - and I am ready to pay for new device, set up etc but I am also being told that this wont make any difference as I quote: "the circuit needs fixing 1st"

In my case all Hub 5 did was: Improved speeds over WiFi, and eliminated all the red packet drop spikes on BQM - THATS IT! I still get the drop outs on wired connections like I used to on Hub 4 but difference is that this time on BQM they are not visible....The connection isnt as stable as it should! Like today - I am played Warzone on ps4 and since approx 7am I had 4 disconnections from the server on ethernet and twice in WiFi (on the same game and the same console)

What is also very confusing is that it also affects my conference calls big time especially in Fridays. 

Looking at your BQM you only got like two yellow spikes where I get a lot on mine... have a look...every disconnection I have or time when I am struggling to load Netflix or even comments on YT corresponds with that SPIKE - with exception of anything between midnight and 7 am - why do these spikes appear on my line while everyone is asleep I do not know.....

Try with HUB 5 - maybe it will work for you.....

My BQM from today 

buchosmambo_0-1675941345527.png

One thing I noticed is that for me it often but not always drops out at about 26 minutes past the hour.

I streamed on Twitch recently for several hours and all of my disconnects were logged. Each disconnect happened approximately 60 mins from each other like clockwork, every hour the same time, 26 minutes past.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I wonder if its related to the hourly Samknows test the VM Hubs do to test the circuit - do a search on here for that issue

One thing you could try - as an experiment - is to disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub and put it into modem only mode. When its back up and without a router you can still connect a single laptop/computer to it on ethernet (use a new cable) and see if the connection issues persist or are sorted.

Note if you do this then the i.p. address changes and so the current BQM will "red stall" - so set up a second one using the modem mode IP address.

Perhaps do this last thing at night and let it all run overnight and check next day. If it looks sorted then you can get a decent introductory TP-Link wifi router for £40-60 - or spend more for more features

Or put it all back as it was

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I know how frustrating this is - for me it was also bang on every half hour then 1h when is separated both networks (but even then it still kept drooping out.

I think my time of drops was circa half past every hour but I think this depends on when initially your router lost full connection and fully restarted - from then it will happen at regular intervals. Disable all that Smart WiFi jaz and separate the networks - maybe this will give you larger/ longer time frames uninterrupted gaming/ streaming. 

My connection today is awful!

Good luck

Proteus
Dialled in

I can now confirm that the problem still happens even when the router is in modem mode.

The internet cuts for about 60s at EXACTLY 26 minutes past each hour.

Virgin staff, what happens with your network at exactly 26 minutes past every hour? What script or refresh you're doing is causing my issues.

Can an engineer comment?

Can you post some stats.
For a hub 4: go to 192.168.0.1 (router mode) or 192.168.100.1 (modem mode), log in, click on the link "Check Router Status".
Copy and paste the Downstream, Upstream and Network Logs as text (not images). Mask any public IP address.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection