Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

2nd router via powerline

I don't know much about this stuff but it seems that it should be possible to set up a powerline from my super hub 3 then attach a 2nd super hub 3 to the output from that powerline in a different room. This would give me ethernet access as well as wifi in that dead area of the house. So if its possible how do I do it...... any explanation should be couched in terms a technical simpleton can understand.

Ps I don't want alternatives I just want to do the above

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: 2nd router via powerline

Hi there,

Sadly what you are asking isn't possible so I can only offer what you don't want.....an alterantive.

Just use a power line with WiFi and ethernet, this will give you what you need, no need to complicate things beyond that. If you need more than one ethernet port you can simply add an Ethernet Switch to achieve this.

Hope this helps.

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Powerline Adapters - some are good, some are not so good but they all depend on the electrical mains circuit, the more joints the worse the signal and they can't jump from one circuit to another.

Second Hub 3 - is the property of Virgin Media and could be classed as stolen property.

If you want better Wi-Fi throughout the property think of getting a Gigabit enabled Wi-Fi Router, a Mesh System or a Wireless Access Point.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

you shouldn't use a router for this there is right ways and wrong ways and that is the wrong way

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks but I need more than 1 ethernet connection. I am sure it must me possible though

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just use an Ethernet switch, you can get one for less than a £10 nowadays and it plugs into the power line adding (usually) 8 ports although you can get more.

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ok found the answer on techradar... I knew it was possible

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Been asked on here several times before...e.g....

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Using-a-second-hub-as-wifi-extender/td-p/4082275

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I wonder if we'll ever hear back how it all went?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

even if it works its still the wrong way to do it 🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos