Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

2nd Wired router

Hi,

Is it possible to add a second wired (through an ethernet connect) a second router without putting the superhub 3.0 into modem mode?

If so can anyone recommend a sub £20 router?

Thanks

Stuart

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: 2nd Wired router

Its possible but i doubt you would need to, please can i ask what you are looking to achieve?

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My hub is downstairs and works well, but in my home office upstairs I have tried everything to get  a stable fast wifi signal. Recently had a cable ran from the hub to my upstairs office. I thought for wifi items upstairs it would be good to have a second router plugged into the data point to give a strong wifi signal.

I did buy a TP-Link TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Cable Router, 4 Fast LAN Ports, but looking at the instructions I would have to change the hub to a modem, which I assume I lose all wifi capabilities of the hub

Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks

Stuart

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes,  but you don't need a second router, just use a cheaper WiFi Access Point. I use a ethernet cable to a tp-link AC1750 Wi-Fi Range Extender In Access Point Mode. You need to use the same SSID and password as the Virgin Hub 3. It helps a lot in boosting the wifi upstairs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Paul, I'll have a look.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@stuartcmcinnes wrote:

I did buy a TP-Link TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Cable Router, 4 Fast LAN Ports

Maybe I should be surprised you didn't try and get another hub.

You really want to use that just connect to it change its LAN IP to 192.168.0.254 and connect by its yellow port to the hub.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos