Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

2nd PC HDD problem so no Ethernet

Wife's 2011 WIn. 7 Home Prem PC began misbehaving, sadly C:\ system data not backed up. Managed to get some stuff off HDD before replacing with SSD. Re-installed Win 7 Home but now no Ethernet or WiFi. Have ntl:home Broadband  Disc from years ago but frightened to use in case own 2010 Win 7 Pro Ethernet also goes down. Keep getting message - error 61 (from memory) & missing driver  mentioned.. Is an updated broadband install disc available but don't want to got to extremes as Win 10 Home is on its way. Any suggestions please as wife uses email a lot even as a retired Anglican OLM. Hopefully WIn 10 will have the required bits on board. when installed.

Thanks in anticipation  - had to explain it is not a Virgin fault but help needed

G. D.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: 2nd PC HDD problem so no Ethernet

Nothing VM or we can do about it for the internet connection - no install discs are needed or provided. Its down to you to fix the PC so that it is capable of using its ethernet port and wifi card. Looks as if the new OS is needed

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

yes this is not a virgin issue.
you need to download the correct drivers your network hardware in the PC.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for somewhat dismissive responses.

As a valued VM customer of many years I had hoped that someone with experience might have offered a little guidance perhaps as what the correct drivers are. Has anyone tried signing in to the Microsoft forum???

Regards

g.d.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Right click "My Computer" or "Computer" or whatever you've renamed it.

Go To Properties.

Go to Hardware.

Go to Device Manager.

Go to "Network Adapters"

Right click on your device and uninstall the device and see if windows picks it up and reinstalls it after rebooting

You could also try the above method and click on Properties and make a note of the device name and download and install the correct drivers from your manufacturer, but you will have to work from another PC that has an internet connection to get your downloads on to a USB drive, then install them on the problem device.

You could also try unplugging  the card from the expansion slot (PCI slot) and plug it back in, either in the same slot, or if your PC supports it another slot.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

In addition to the above, would underline getting the drivers from a genuine manufacturer's own website (rather than from the many 'driver-download' sites) so as to avoid inadvertently picking up any malware along the way.

If you have a brand name machine such as Dell or HP etc. you can usually go to the support section of their sites, enter the service tag or serial number of the device and get a direct link to all relevant drivers for your individual PC.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for two helpful responses. I did manage to get into the Microsoft help website and downloaded a set of drivers. Unfortunately to no avail. My wife is giving me hell and will soon be taking over my PC. I think we'll have to persevere until her Win 10 home arrives on disc from "Computer Active" and see if installing it does the trick - if not we'll go back to Scan Computers in Bolton (always reliable for the past nearly thirty years) for a new mother board etc. and take it from there.. I've learnt my lesson, not only back up usual email and text files etc., but also back up the operating system files from time to time. Would have made life so much easier, as trying to rescue them from the dodgy HDD was an excruciating experience.

Thanks again

g. d.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Try a reset of the network adapters.

https://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheNuclearOptionResettingTheCrapOutOfYourNetworkAdaptersInVista.aspx 

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Download this software to a USB stick:

https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.92-en.exe 

Run it on the PC with the issue and access the 'Mainboard' tab, like below:

Make a note of manufacture and model number and Google them.

You should hopefully be able to find a downloads page for ethernet / network drivers.

Download them to USB and install.

If you struggle to find them post the manufacture and model on here and we can have a look for you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@GrifsGrif wrote:

Thanks for somewhat dismissive responses.

As a valued VM customer of many years I had hoped that someone with experience might have offered a little guidance perhaps as what the correct drivers are. Has anyone tried signing in to the Microsoft forum???

Regards

g.d.

how can we possibly know what the "correct drivers" are, seeing as we know nothing about the system.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos