Menu
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

2G & 5G

I have had problems with wifi recently and also noticed that I no longer have the option to switch between 2g and 5g anymore. I also have been given a new hub this week but this is still the same.? Why do I no longer have the option to manually switch between 2 and 5G??

It is helpful as 2G has more range 5 better when nearer the router

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 2G & 5G

The hubs are setup so they broadcast both 2g and 5g at the same time using the same name, this means you will use 5g when close and it will auto switch to 2g when you are far away

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you have a new hub then by default the bands are “merged” into one broadcast name and your devices should pick the appropriate band to connect to.

You can login to the hubs admin pages and rename the bands to split them into 2. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi

Do you have a Superhub 3? If so the 2.4ghz and 5ghz are blended into one SSID, the router communicates with the devices and automatically chooses the most suited band for the device. You can manually split them if you prefer by accessing the routers settings page - enter 192.168.0.1 in your web browser and enter the settings password from the bottom of the router. From here you can rename the bands so they show separately. Thanks, Marty

If I've helped in any way, please give me Kudos and mark my response as a helpful answer!

Fancy £50 off your bill? Ask me how and you might just get it!

I am a serving Field Technician at Virgin Media however all responses are based on my experiences in the field and my own equipment at home and should be taken as such.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi,

The Super Hub 3 has them as a combined broadcast using the "Smart WiFi" to select the correct band in relation to each device and their range to the Hub if you want to change this you can log in to the router settings at 192.168.0.1 your password for this will be printed on the bottom of the hub an 8 digit number once you are in this menu go to Advanced settings>Wireless>Security  and then you can name the two different bands.

Hope this helps
Jake
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Virgin Media Field Technician. All and any advice given is based on my experience in the field or my personal experiences with my own set up at home. If my answer was helpful to you please Mark as helpful or consider leaving the post some Kudos.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Want to save £50 off your bill by referring a friend? Send me a PM and I'll let you know how!

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Settling in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that I did think that may be the case, I just dont ever remember manually changing anything on any of the routers from Virgin (I have had three). The option of 2 or 5 was always there. I am assuming as you point out that I dont need it anyway as it should pick up on which is best for the device.??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@jnl2000 wrote:

I am assuming as you point out that I dont need it anyway as it should pick up on which is best for the device.??

The technology is referred to as 'band steering' and can be something of a black art, requiring both the device and Wifi access point to play nicely together. In theory it works, in practice - not so much!

Personally I'd split the bands and do it manually.