forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
steveo72
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

2 weeks in and wifi network disappearing

Joined Virgin with a hub 3 two weeks ago, all fine. Then yesterday I had to disconnect the hub temporarily and since then I cannot get the wifi network to stay in place.

Ethernet connections work fine, but wifi keeps disappearing. I have done the 60 second factory reset (4 times) plus I have switched the channel optimiser off. There is only one other router visible on my wifi app which is Sky, transmitting on a completely different channel.

Our kids are home schooling, and we've bought a house with a wifi based heating system. Thought I'd sorted it last night - got up this morning and the wifi signal has gone again.

Seems I'm not alone in this - can I get a solution through this board or is it necessary to sit on the phone for hours to Virgin?

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: 2 weeks in and wifi network disappearing

If it's just Wifi dropping and not ethernet then the best thing to do is put the hub into modem mode and attach your own router or mesh system

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
steveo72
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Gary. Why would we need to do this when we're paying for a service from Virgin? Doesn't seem to be too much to ask to have a working hub I wouldn't have thought is it?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Because wifi isn't part of what you pay for

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
steveo72
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hmmm - you've confused me Gary.  I would understand if the hub was struggling to get the signal to certain rooms or if I was in a tricky house. But it's literally dropping the network, not visible to any device.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply, apologies for being challenging/dumb - but we pay for a service at Virgin with a WIFI hub. 

Tell me more about why you say 'wifi isn't part of what you pay for'?

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You pay for a cable to your property and then to a hub which is the demarcation point.

How you connect devices after this point is down to you, but your speeds and connectivity are based on those achievable by a wired (Ethernet) connection not wireless.

If wireless devices are dropping you can either try and “refine” the hubs poor Wifi output or get your own better Wifi equipment.

0 Kudos
steveo72
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Gary 

0 Kudos