Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

2 computers 1 Wired Booster

Pretty much I have one wired booster in my room connected to its pair by the WiFi router downstairs. I would like to get another PC in the room and was wondering if I could somehow use the same wired booster to connect both computers and be in use simultaneously. Is this possible? Many thanks 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 2 computers 1 Wired Booster

If you want to connect by Wi-Fi it should be no problem

If you want to connect both by ethernet cable you will have to use a simple switch.

or

You could have one connected by ethernet cable and one by Wi-Fi.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Apologies I did not clarify, i would like both computers to be connected by ethernet and will be used simultaneously. I have heard of a network/ethernet switch but have also been told some allow simultaneous use and some do not, how do i tell the difference. For instance are they completely different devices or is it a feature that varies from brand to brand? Thanks for the quick response.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

A >> simple switch << takes an inbound cable signal and gives out to cable connected devices. The bandwidth and speed is basically the same from each port.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that. One last clarification, theoretically, if the router was in the room and both computers were conncected to the router via ethernet would that be considerably faster than the current scenario of 1 wired booster and a switch?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I would expect so.

Power Line Adaptors (PLA) use household wiring to transfer the signal around the property ring mains, every joint in the circuit will lose something from the signal.

PLAs are good for convenience but not much more.

Mike Robinson

Highlighted
Legend
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Any powerline or WiFi connection will always be slower than a direct Ethernet cable.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos