cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.5G Port on Hub 5 in Modem Mode

dzw003
Tuning in

Hi all,

I’ve been on the Gig1 plan for a while now. Have been on the Hub 4 and ended up buying a dedicated router (TP Link Archer GX90 (w, 2.5 Eth port) due to the atrocious Wi-Fi on the Hub 4. 
I recently managed to convince Virgin to give me the Hub5 when I called in to renew.

So my question is, with the Hub 5 in modem mode and connected to my router using the hubs 2.5G port number 4, will I be able to achieve 2.5G performance to my PC, when connected to my TP Link routers 2.5 port? Sorry for the long winded question!

Or can I only use my Hub in router mode to achieve 2.5G capable speeds?

Just to clarify, my PC has a 2.5G Ethernet Port and all ethernet cables used are minimum Cat6a.

Would be cool to benefit from the full speeds of the Gig1 package instead of ≈940mbps. 

Cheers!

10 REPLIES 10

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"will I be able to achieve 2.5G performance to my PC, when connected to my TP Link routers 2.5 port? Sorry for the long winded question!" If you router has all 2.5G ports then you will get the full speed to your PC if you have any device on you network that also works at 2.5G. With the current broadband speed from VM you will only get 1.1G to your router and 1.1G to your PC.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Just checking: does your PC have a network card which can handle the 1.1Gbps coming into it?

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Yep, I paid a tad extra for a better motherboard which had some nice features, 2.5G Ethernet being one of them. I also double checked manually in my computers device manager. 

Thanks for the quick reply!

Ah that sucks! So this would only be an option if I have a router with at least two 2.5 ports, or could I potentially use a 2.5G switch?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"or could I potentially use a 2.5G switch?" you cannot put a switch between the VM hub and your router, you need a router with at least a 2.5G WAN port and a 2.5G LAN port. That’s why I use a router with 10G WAN and LAN ports with the LAN port feeding a 10G switch.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks for the help! I think for now my best bet is to use the Hub 5 in router mode and connect my PC to the 2.5 port on that and use my other router in repeater mode to boost my signal at gigabit speeds (not an issue as my PC is the only system that can make use of the 2.5G speeds anyway).  
Maybe once 2.5/10G network kit drops in price, I’ll consider upgrading 🙂

Thanks for the quick help again. 

dzw003
Tuning in

Just out of curiosity, would this router work? It seems to have dual 2.5G ports but at quite a reasonable price in comparison to others offering the same. Made me slightly suspicious!

https://www.asus.com/uk/networking-iot-servers/wifi-routers/asus-gaming-routers/tuf-gaming-ax6000/

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

According to the manual, yes it has one 2.5Gb WAN and one 2.5Gb LAN ports.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Client62
Legend

It would be interesting to hear what home or work from home application fails to work well over a 1Gb/s network port.