Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 42
Flag for a moderator

2.4ghz wifi speed slloooowwww - Just joined Virgin

Hello Virgin Forum

Just joined Virgin 3 days ago (100m&phone) and looking for some help please as the Hub 3 wifi on 2.4ghz keeps dropping out whether right next to the hub or in another room.

5ghz wifi & ethernet connections are fine. Light stays white on router.

Currently between 16 to 18 devices connected, 4 ethernet, rest wifi.

Tried a few things, split the 2.4 & 5.0 networks, turned off optimisation and tried the different 2.4 channels of 11, 6 and 1. Restarted the router. Fault remains.

My assumption is there is an issue with the hub router and I've read other threads here that suggest the hub is really a bit pants.

So, do I need to contact VM as in 14 day cooling off period for some kind of redress? If so what are they likely to offer if anything?

Guessing I need to buy my own router or mesh. If so how can I deduce the area a mesh network will cover and how many nodes/repeaters are required please? Is it a buy it and try it sort of thing or can an area of coverage be worked out first?

Bungalow with garden office. Previously with Vodafone 36mb fibre and had full wifi through the house with the ISP provided modem/router without drop outs and one single channel wifi booster in the office with the pc connected to it via ethernet.

Any help and suggestions appreciate. Thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Re: 2.4ghz wifi speed slloooowwww - Just joined Virgin

What actual speeds are you getting ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 42
Flag for a moderator

was getting around 100mb on both 2.4 & 5.0 on Saturday when installed.

Now around 100mb on 5.0

2.4 drops to basically zero, then will be 20mb, then 50mb. Restart hub, might then be around 100mb for a bit, then drops again.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 42
Flag for a moderator

May I advise you to download and install a Wi-Fi analyser to show if there are any foreign Wi-Fi broadcasts interfering with your own Wi-Fi signals. From there you can look at refining your own Wi-Fi broadcasts.

I use this one ...

WiFi Analyzer Premium - Apps on Google Play

wifi-2

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Yup. That’s what 2.4Ghz Wifi will do.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 42
Flag for a moderator

I use that exact wifi analyser app already, although a free version - thank you for the suggestion though

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Post screen shots for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz broadcasts and tell us which broadcasts are yours.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 8 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot_20210112-125252.png

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 9 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot_20210112-125455.png