cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.4ghz not working

BenjyW
Joining in

Since joining virgin I had to use an extra wireless router for a separate network as I needed wifi6 for a vr headset. Have since got rid of the headset and have gone to remove the second router but found issues with 2Ghz devices, mainly smart plugs.

They wouldn't find my VM network or connect manually so check the settings and I had it set up for smart connect so I turned it off to separate the 2.4 and 5ghz channels but still wouldn't pick up the 2.4 so I tested on multiple devices and still the same.

Did a reboot and nothing. Changed the names and nothing. Did a reset (router pinhole) and left the network as it was with smart connect, still the same. Turned off the smart and changed the network names and still not getting the 2.4 channel. It's there in the VM connect app but nowhere else.

Every other post like this I've seen seems to point to faulty devices. Considering I was told when I renewed I would get a hub 5 is it a possibility to just send that out as I should have over 6 months ago and see how that one gets on?

6 REPLIES 6

Client62
Legend

You omitted to mention which VM Hub you have.

The issue of older laptops + IoT can not find the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi signal by far the most common with a Hub 5 in Router mode.  

Apologies, it's the hub 4 I currently have. 

Client62
Legend

Using a Wi-Fi analyser app on your mobile phone, check if Hub 4's SSID is being broadcast on the 2.4Ghz band.

BenjyW
Joining in

As expected nothing is showing, it isn't that the smart plugs can't connect, not a single device is showing it. That's 23 devices total including a second virgin box in the bedroom. Checked them all as I was setting them all back up for the new (default) WiFi name as it will make it easier to reconnect when I'm no doubt asked to do another pinhole reset when VM contacts me about it.

Client62
Legend

So no Wi-Fi from either the 2.4 or 5Ghz bands.

When you did a Hub 4 RESET, did you press RESET for 60 seconds, then leave the Hub powered on to recover ?

I have it on the 5ghz just not the 2.4, which is the only thing the smart plugs run off and I'm running a second router just for those.

Yes I did, everything completely reset back to factory with original SSIDs and passwords