cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.4ghz keeps dropping out

cwatki123
Tuning in

I have a hub 4, and it broadcasts separate 2.4 and 5ghz networks. 

Every now and then, but fairly regularly, the 2.4ghz network stops working. The router is still broadcasting it as I can see it as available on my phone/devices, but when I try to connect to it, it fails. Most of my devices that are connected to it, e.g. smart bulbs, alexas, cameras, disconnect and show as not available on their individual apps, but oddly, not everything disconnects. For example right now, one camera, a smart plug and my heating controller are connected (even though some same branded devices are disconnected) and I can access/control them, but everything else shows as disconnected. 
There are no issues at all connecting to/accessing the 5ghz network or anything connected to it.  

The only way I’m able to resolve this is by going into the admin area of the router, turning off the 2.4ghz network, and turning it back on again. I have in the past tried switching my router off and on, but this causes the router to (very oddly) do some sort of reset where the 5ghz network name is changed to the same as the 2.4ghz name (meaning everything connected to it disconnects), or the passwords to both networks are reset to the original password provided when the router was delivered (meaning everything disconnects). And I have to go into the admin area to sort it. 

It’s completely unpredictable. It might not happen for weeks, then happen four times in a single week. It’s most inconvenient when I’m away from home and trying to access my cameras, lights, burglar alarm - like when I’m at my family’s for Christmas as we speak, for example. It also means that my ‘home security’ routines don’t work (eg turning lights on and off, playing music etc) because most of my devices are disconnected. 

Any suggestions? 

4 REPLIES 4

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you got smart WiFi turned off? If not give it a try.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks for your reply. 

What’s smart WiFi and how do I turn it off? If it’s the automatic channel selection thing, yes I’ve got that off. 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It’s in the setting somewhere, I can not be more specific as I run in modem mode.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi cwatki123, thanks for the message. 

You will be able to do this by clicking on the following link here

Kind regards, Chris.