Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

2.4ghz band is slow. 5ghz is very unstable

So, i run the super hub 3 as a modem into a TP-Link c1200 archer. For a while speeds have been good, had an issue a few weeks ago with the hub to do with downstream and power levels, I'm led to believe these have been fixed.

At the router the speed is exactly what we're paying for and often the same on 5ghz, 2.4ghz is usually around 1/4 of that speed.

More recently 5ghz has just been almost non existent. As in it's showing as an option but upon connecting there is no internet at all. Even though its available. It usually does this in the evening for a good 3/4 hours then it comes back online at full speed. Any idea if this is a router issue, or VM. I'm using cat6 between the router and the hub. the only thing I can think of is its a router problem? as i dont see how the super hub can dictate another devices 5ghz etc.

any help greatly appreciated. I have set up a broadband monitor as well.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/1e3383dac397475a9722f00e01601ef9e2...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: 2.4ghz band is slow. 5ghz is very unstable

Forget Wi-Fi for now.

What speeds do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

200-215mbps on my macbook. We pay for VM200 at the moment. As i said above the wired connection to the router is perfectly fine. And in the past 5ghz is usually the same when actually connecting.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Using the macbook, what speeds do you get at speedtest.net from the TP Link with ethernet cable ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Time for Mike Robinson breakfast wifi thing....

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you’re using a third party router then slow Wi-Fi isn’t virgins issue.

You need to test wired speeds.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

On a test just now, 95Mbps, but, no more than 20 minutes ago i got 200+. With about 30 devices connected.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@connorp0601 wrote:

On a test just now, 95Mbps, but, no more than 20 minutes ago i got 200+. With about 30 devices connected.

That’s a wired connection?

95Mbps could indicate either a CAT5 cable (limited to 100Mbps) or a LAN port that isn’t gigabit enabled. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just to please Legacy1 ...

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I reckon that the TP Link is your problem. 30 connected devices on a budget router is probably pushing the boundaries a bit far.

Mike Robinson

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Im using Cat6, Apparently VM customers i know of in my area are also having a variety of issues. I used a wired connection earlier and it was 200 on the modem (Hub3) and same on the router, it seems to be going up and down to be honest.

0 Kudos