Menu
fumper
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

2.4g issue with hub 3

Recently I’ve been having a lot of issues with 2.4 GHz network on my hub 3. Having a lot of issues we are pretty much everything connected to the network loses connectivity for a period of time does anybody know of any recent issues regarding this and possibly how I can go about requesting a hub 4 from virgin media. Thanks in advance for any help. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: 2.4g issue with hub 3

You wont get a Hub4 and in any case its wifi is no better than the Hub3's. Is the 5GHz connectivity ok? Are you having issues on any devices connected on ethernet cables?

You could try this and see if it helps the Hub3

Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings.  Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx_2 & xxxxx_5) -- use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should then also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
fumper
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: 2.4g issue with hub 3

Well the very nice man on the phone arranged for a hub 4 to be delivered on Wednesday and upgrade from 500mb to 1gb connection for only £1 a month more so hopefully that will help. Thanks for the advice on the settings though. Appreciate the time you took to reply

0 Kudos