Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

2.4Ghz Wifi Broken After early morning remote restarts

Hello all.

I saw my router went offline yesterday morning twice at silly-o'clock in the am.

consquently, my daughters iphone 4S stops working on the wifi, i think not much more of it, until the evening, when none of our smat plugs will wotk \ responed \ connect the the wifi (2.4GHz only devices.).

So, i restartt the HUB 3, powered off for 5 mins etc.

nothing - it seems the network will not give out a DHCP address - the response is not "bad password" or similar, just - not a lot happens.

So, i change the SSID to somethign new - to ensure nothing can auto-connect - i try on my phone \ laptop - no change. I change the level of wifi security psk etc, no change. so, last resort - no security - still nothing.

Now, i'm out of ideas!

Called support, 30 mins later - "can you check the cable" - seriously!?!?!?! this is 1 WIFI, and 2 the 5GHz is as good as gold, rock solid as i was WFH all day today, and last 14 weeks!

So, i suggested a router issue, and a reset to defaults was suggested. i mentioned i need to backup the config as i have some mac address restrictions (iphone 4S not allowed internet, just to access internal resources), and some reservations on certain kit.

Apparently "there is no option to backup the config" - really, i have done it before, when advising them were the button was, the call dropped and they have not call back, over 30 mins ago, charming!

anyway. config backed up, screen shots taken too as i dont have a hge amount of faith in the Hub.

i guess i will be setting to defaults, unless anyone else has any ideas?

Cheers

Rob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: 2.4Ghz Wifi Broken After early morning remote restarts

Hi, I think a pinhole reset is the only answer, you have tried everything else.  Push the reset button on the back in with a pin for 20 seconds and then release for 5 seconds.  Do this 3 times and then wait 15mins.. Make sure all devices work before reapplying custom settings.

Regards

Rich

Send Me a PM!

Here to help! I'm a Field Technician helping out from home. Find out more
REFER A FRIEND AND SHARE £100 BETWEEN YOU

****************** ASK ME HOW ******************

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So, I backed up the config, performed a reset to defaults from the GUI.

Once in default mode, I renamed the 2.4GHz back to how it was previously - SSID and passkey - bingo, smart home devices all connected and started to be availabe to communicate with.

Great I thought, so i restored the previous config, and the 2.4Ghz broke again.

Reset to defaults and i manually reconfigured the router exactly how it was previoulsy (i took screen shots of every page as didn't trust the config backup!).

And it is all good once again - dissapointed that i have to waste several hours that i will not get back, now looking at DECO Mesh to replace and use modem-mode.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

And it's packed up again today!

This is ridiculous, new modem maybe?!?!

Arghhhhhhhhh

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If all is fine when connected on ethernet cable, you last sentence in message 3 is the solution.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

John,

All is well on 5Ghz!!!!!

Ethernet is solid too.

R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

A mesh will be best. But did you switch off "channel optimisation" when you separated the 2 SSID's? If not do so - then use a wifi analyser App on a smartphone to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

All nicely spread out

Basically, you don't get an IP on 2.4. well, you do for a day after a reset, then it stops again.

Very strange, I think it's hardware.

R

0 Kudos