cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.4Ghz - Updated issues

Apolloefc
Joining in

Hello all,

I have an unusual problem I need assistance with. I've been with virgin media for 2-3 years without issue. Last week they made changes to improve he upload speed. Since then some older devices have not been able to connect to my wifi. These are:

SKY Q box

Kasa Smart Plugs

Ring Doorbell

I've had 2 engineer visits (they've been unable to find an issue), 4 different virgin hubs (the original hub 4, 2 hub 5s and now a hub 3) and still these devices won't connect. I assumed it might be some kind of firmware update so I bought an Eero 5 wifi router and exactly the same issue. During the setup procedure for these devices my wifi is not even displayed as option to connect to, as it is for my iphone and other 5GHz capable devices.

All these devices connect fine to my neighbours wifi (they were kind enough to let me check - they are with Sky).

Splitting the wifi or turning off 5GHz does not help. The latter just displays "no internet connection".

I'm at a complete loss and virgin and their support staff are no more knowledgeable than myself for this particular matter. At this point I should just be able to leave virgin as they are unable to fix the issue and aren't providing the service I'm paying but they just repeat that they can see no issue with my broadband and want £280 to exit my contract. They want to send out a 3rd engineer but that's more time I'd need to book off work for (I'm WFH and obviously the internet is inaccessible while they're here) and their compensation is worthless in these instances.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thank you in advance.

2 REPLIES 2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Two things to try.

1 - Try a 60 second factory pinhole reset as below;
Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible. NOTE this will remove any custom settings you may have set in the Hub, and they will all have to be setup again.

2 - After the reset, scan the environment with a wifi scanner on your phone, and see if the 2.4Ghz band is snowing.  There are several in the Play store for Android devices.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Client62
Legend

Reads like another case of Hub Wi-Fi not working correctly. 
As the devices connect ok the the neighbours Wi-Fi it is very tempting to try a Wi-Fi access point or Wi-Fi Router as an addition or alternative to the VM Hub's WI-Fi services.