cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.4GHz config keeps resetting after Hub 4.0 reboots

BenDaniels052
Tuning in

Hello, 

We have recently upgraded to the Hub 4.0. I have configured the router settings to split the frequencies as we require some devices on 2.4GHz rather than the 5GHz. After changing the settings and saving the settings, it all works as expected. However, when the hub reboots the 2.4GHz username/password is reset back to the default SSID - VMxxxxxx and also the password. 5GHz stays configured as expected. This has happened three times now and it's starting to become an issue having to configure some security cameras in the house and other smart appliances. 

Is there a new setting I'm missing which wasn't on the previous hub which is causing this? Or do we have a bug with our firmware?

Thanks, 

Ben

4 REPLIES 4

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you turned off smart/intelligent WiFi? This has been known to fix the problem for some people. Not necessarily a bug, but I think VM have coded it like that as the pods need both of the bands combined and smart/intelligent WiFi turned on.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi Tudor, 

Thank you for the prompt response, I was hesitant to turn of smart/intelligent WiFi as I've seen a few people complain it's reduce network performance. But if this is the only way to prevent the 2.4GHz frequency config from resetting then I'll go ahead an disable it, but monitor the performance.
Just wondering if there's anything planned to stop this happening in future firmware releases? As I wouldn't of thought turning off smart WiFi is a solution but more of a work around. 

Thanks,
Ben

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Logically turning off smart WiFi should have no bearing on network performance. Nearly all people who make this type of comment have no way of performing any network mapping of performance and it’s just a subjective comment. I don’t believe VM will make any changes in future releases of the firmware as they want users to use their pods which must have the SSIDs combined and smart WiFi enabled. 
I think your best course of action is to turn it off and monitor the situation, you can always turn it back on if you encounter problems.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thank you, valid points and I understand where you're coming from. I was just confused as to why this was happening, in the perfect use case I would have both SSIDs combined and soon enough we most likely won't have to split, but some devices still require a connection solely on 2.4GHz which is why we've split the frequencies. I have disabled the smart WiFi and will see how it goes, but as you said it shouldn't have any impact.

Many thanks for your assistance,
Ben