Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

2.4GHz WiFi periodically failing

Hi

I'm having periodic problems with the Wifi on my Hub3.

Frequently when I try to connect to my Hub with a device that only supports 2.4Ghz, it doesn't connect. The devices that support 5Ghz still connect and work flawlessly when this problem is happening.

I have a Kindle Fire and an old Intel Laptop running Windows 10 and both fail at the same time. When there is a problem, if I disable the 5GHz on my brand new Lenovo laptop, which runs Windows 10 and has a Killer network card, it exhibits the same problem. In all cases, the devices can see the network, they just fail to connect when you tell it.

The only way I've found to get the 2.4GHz back up is to play around with the settings for the 2.4Ghz network, usually changing the protocols between n only / g and n / b, g and n will kick it back to life but sometimes I then need to fiddle around with turning 2.4Ghz off / on again and rebooting the router. Normally rebooting the router doesn't help, only changing the settings.

It's difficult to ascertain how often the fault is actually occurring as the 2.4GHz only devices aren't used very often but I would estimate that I actually hit the problem on a roughly weekly basis.

Given that the problem ALWAYS affects all 3 devices simultaneously (running 2 different operating systems and different hardware) and NEVER affects the 5GHz band, it does strongly point to a problem with the router and not the devices.

Is this a known problem with the firmware or is it a hardware issue? Is there a fix for this?

Although I have a workaround, my wife runs an online business from home and if she can't get online when I'm at work, it is a MAJOR problem and massively disruptive as she needs to wait for me to get home to fix it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: 2.4GHz WiFi periodically failing

I can't help with a simple solution, but I can confirm that my Hub 3 seems to have a similar problem that the 2.4 GHz connection is not robust. Since I know that there's no strong competing local signals on 2.4 GHz, nor any "interference candidates" like microwaves or baby monitors, I suspect that this is some problem with the Hub 3, although because it usually affects the kids, not my 5 GHz connected devices I haven't yet done anything about it.

My opinion is that this is more likely down to the cheapskate specification of the Hub 3 than to a hardware failure, and if you agree with that conclusion then the only real solution is to spend money on either your own router or wifi mesh system.  Or to take your business to an ISP who offer a better router.

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mog0

Thanks for posting on our forum.

I am really sorry to hear that you've been having issues when connecting to devices that only support 2.4Ghz.  We would like to investigate this further for you.  To enable us to do this I am going to send you a private message.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen and then respond.

We look forward to helping you.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lee

I'm seeing a notification for your post but clicking on the message icon it says no private messages.

Mog

0 Kudos