Menu
Lee_k
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

2.4GHZ - 5GHZ - Why is the new hub 3 worse than the old hubs?

Hi all,

Hope someone can help with some simple instructions on 2.4 vs 5ghz settings.

The hub3 since i've had it has always have a slightly worse signal etc in my opinion than the older hub but it was ok.

But now I've brought some smart plugs which need 2.4ghz only - I turned off the 5ghz, set them up and then turned it back on thinking the "auto" selection would leave them going, but nope soon as it was 5ghz the smart plugs didn't turn off and on automatically anymore. Given I used the smart plugs to control some important bits of kit on a fishtank I had to turn the 5ghz back off - now on 5gb i get 340-400mb most the time (claimed 500 i think) but on 2.4ghz I get 5-6mb!

Surely the 2.4 should be better, and is there a way of connecting some devices on 2.4 and others on 5 - guess this wouldnt work on smart plugs tho as they dont connect directly and are controlled by an app

Lee

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: 2.4GHZ - 5GHZ - Why is the new hub 3 worse than the old hubs?

Rename the 5ghz signal to something else, least you can keep your plugs on the slow frequency and put the faster devices in the 5ghz 

0 Kudos
Lee_k
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Dont the plugs just use the wifi for networking tho, then just connect via a app to the phone for example. So does the phone need to be on 2.4ghz? cus with them 2.4ghz speeds its quicker to turn the wifi off on the phone and just use the mobile internet! 

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@Lee_k wrote:

Dont the plugs just use the wifi for networking tho, then just connect via a app to the phone for example. So does the phone need to be on 2.4ghz? cus with them 2.4ghz speeds its quicker to turn the wifi off on the phone and just use the mobile internet! 

The phone can be on whatever network you like.   It doesn't have to be on the same LAN as the plug, and not on the same Wi-Fi band.

With all the plugs we have, the plug (or other IoT device) connects to a server somewhere (run by the manufacturer or another party) set up on whatever app has been recommended by the manufacturer.   During set up you usually pair the plug with the app and give it your Wi-Fi settings, via the app.  All communication between your phone and the app are done via that server.

I have plugs from several manufacturers and use a couple of different apps, plus Amazon's own.  They are in turn linked to 'Alexa' so I can control them all by voice command or app - even if I'm away from the house.  The plugs are all on 2.4GHz Wi-Fi.  There are other connection methods such as Zigbee too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos