Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

1gb speed below expectation

Hey guys,

Recently upgraded my broadband package from 350mb over to 1gb and received the hub 4. WIth the exception of one speedtest which hit 700mb, all tests that I have done since have been in the range of 100 to 400mb on a 5Ghz channel, well below the 570mb that virgin guarantees. I run the hub 4 in modem mode and use an Asus rt-ax88u as a router. I did this when I had the hub 3 as well and had no issues whatsoever.

Is there anything that anyone could suggest as to what I can do? I have called up virgin a few times and been told that new settings have been pushed through and to wait. The latest call I had, I was told that they would be sending me out a wifi booster. I don't get what. a wifi booster will help with. I test the speed when i am right next to router as I get that the further I am the slower the speed will be and that's fine.

Any suggestions or anyone who could look into this properly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1gb speed below expectation

Hello

Virginmedia guarantee is not for wireless it is for a wired connection direct to the hub using a Cat 5e cable or above, on 5Ghz I would expect something in the region of 100mbps, unless your devices support the Wifi 6 standard, which is pretty new standard.

Have a look at the minimum speeds page https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/virgin-media-speed-policy and https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/speeds in the faq it says

Once our speeds have reached your Hub, a number of things may affect your broadband speeds outside of our control. This can include your use of Wifi, the device you’re using and the wiring in your building. To help you get the most out of your in-home WiFi, and fix some of your WiFi issues, check out our help pages.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have wifi 6 enabled devices and was what I used for the first test where i achieved over 700. Over wifi prior to my changing to 1gb, i was achieving speeds of 360mb. Now i only hit the 300 range occasionally

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ok good man, you're in modem mode, the router is capable of speeds better than 100mbps(Megabits per seconds, you should be able to get around 600-800 Mbps, people often confuse mbps with MBps (Mega Bytes Per second).) 
Here's what to do. 

1. Are you sure you are checking the speed on the 5GHz band?? It will give you the biggest speed but the shortest range. 
2. Is the 5GHz on your router set to 20/40/80 or 160 width? (set it to 80 for now.) 
3. What channel are you using on 5GHz? And how congested is it? (other nearby wifi signals will reduce the speed). If its congested change channels
5. Are you using DFS channels on 5Ghz?  
6. What device are you measuring the speed with? 
7. When testing speed, stand around 10 feet away in the same room
8. Where have you sited the router? Where you position it in your house will determine how good the signal is. 
9. To test the actual throughput on your network use iPerf. 

More useful info here https://www.digitalairwireless.com/articles/blog/a-quick-guide-to-5ghz-in-the-uk-part-2 

I use Unifi, with 4 wifi Access points, 7 switches and a USG Pro. If you want very good networking at a reasonable price, it's recommended, although it gets kind of addictive 😉 Its not Wifi 6 (yet) but I can get over 650Mbps throughput on the access points using an iPhone 11 Pro Max which is close to its limit. 

Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wireless speeds aren’t guaranteed especially with third-party equipment.

What are wired speeds like?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I do apologise, i did mean mbps.

1. Yeah, i have definitely been using 5GHz, when i was testing the hub itself to see in case it was my router that was the issue I even disabled the 2.4Ghz signal just to make sure.

2. i've tried them all, from auto to 80 or 160 width. It all seems to cap out at the 400 mbps.

3. I have manually changed the channel a few times and tested but no real change. It is currently set to channel 100 as it's the one that have little to no congestion.

5. i'm not sure, i can't find that option in my router settings

6. using a samsung s20 ultra which original was able to do 700 mbps and a oneplus 8 which first time round did roughly 620 mbps

7. I would say that's roughly how far I am.

8. it sits right next to where the main virgin coax cable comes into the property. No obstructions close.

I got my new router mainly because it was wifi 6 and since the ps5 is going to support it haha

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Worse surprisingly, just about it 300mbps. Tested with a macbook pro with a lenovo adaptor (in case that affects the result)

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

has*
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@dramluckhun What results do you get from the speed test built into the Hub 4 here: http://www.samknows.com/realspeed

You will need to temporarily put the hub into router mode to run this test, but it should show the speed being delivered to the hub and the speed to your device. This test is useful to determine if the line speed is slow or the slow down is on the LAN side.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos