Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

1gb noob

Hi folks, just taken delivery of new hub4. Unfortunately, it’s not working and need a technician visit! ...and have been experiencing the worst of customer service, sadly.

Anyways, to get the full benefit of the 1gb, anyone got a recommendation to get top WiFi speed?  

I’ve been considering investing Google Nest WiFi, or Netgear Orbi.  Have powerline adaptor atm and get about around 30 mbps.  I’d be delighted to hear thoughts on which system works best with VM and getting the best out of 1gb......

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1gb noob

It sounds like the Hub hasn't been activated yet.

VM have recently started pre-activating their equipment, and the box should call "home" and be activated within 30 minutes, however sometimes this fails and the advice is to sign into Service status at the top of this page and run a test against the equipment you are installing. By doing this VM will be able to reboot the box or put you in touch with the right team.

You could also try the following, call 0800 953 9500 to activate the box. You will need the box serial number, and your account number and area code.

You could also try contacting New accounts and Set Up for them to complete the setup and activation. That is 150 from a Virgin landline options 1,1,1 and 4 or 0345 4541111 from any other phone, options 1,1,2 and 4.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You won’t get 1Gb over Wi-Fi. Most devices “may” max-out at around 500-600Mbps over Wi-Fi.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks 👍 done all those things, not sure what issue is but managed to get a technician call, who’ll be here on Monday, using hub 3 in the meantime.

Any thoughts on getting the most of the 1gb speed from the WiFi?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Any recommendations how to get that?
 I’d be delighted with 500-600!  Only have about 30-40 atm...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Depends what device you’re using and what band (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz) it’s connected to.

I assume your wired speeds are fine?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yep, wired speeds fine and easily get 300-400 when near the hub

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

for best wireless speeds you will need a good 802.11ax router and supported network on the laptop/phone/computer. but you will still not get 1gbps

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So you’ll either want another router or a mesh system with nodes placed around the property.

Or run some wired AP’s if you can. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

What approx speeds can I expect from a good mesh system, or access point?
Any ideas?
0 Kudos