Menu
poonal29
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

1GB Broadband but not getting speed

Hi

Recently took out the 1GB Broadband, everything came on time and set up was easy. I have logged on to the router and can see that I am getting the full 1GB speed to the router. However I am not getting the speed to my devices.

The router is connected to gigabit switch, where the cat6 cabling round my house is all connected to the switch. At the other end my house I have a Ubiquiti access point, I am doing a speed test with my laptop and only get 200 - 250mbps speed, It is a high spec work laptop.

I also have the Galaxy S20 mobile phone, where it states on their website that the phone is capable of speeds of 1000mbps. I did a speed test on there and still get only 300/400 mbps.

I decided to test both right next to the router and still get the same speed. I even connected my laptop to the router via ethernet and still get them same speeds but not the full 1gbps speed.

I have checked the wiring around my house and there is no damage to the cables and all connections are firm.

Is there something that is set up incorrectly? I would have thought that an wired ethernet connection to an AP would provide me better speeds on the other side of the house?

0 Kudos
Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1GB Broadband but not getting speed

Hello poonal29

Apologies for the delays in responding to your original post regarding the broadband speeds you're receiving. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us via the forums and welcome to the community.

In your post you mentioned running a wired speed test and the full 1 gig speeds are available and that it is individual devices that aren't getting 1 gig speeds. As with any connection, the total speed available from the Hub is distributed to the different devices connected to the network. These speeds can vary depending on the connection type, device, distance from the hub and total number of devices being used at one time.

This is where the 1 gig goes, you won't receive 1 gig to each device. We'd always recommend wired connections for faster more stable connection where possible. If you are using Wi-Fi for phones, tablets and laptops for example, we have these helpful tips https://virg.in/wifisos and a dedicated forum post here virg.in/WiFiwins to help you get the most from your broadband.

Rob

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1GB Broadband but not getting speed

S20 won't get 1Gbps speeds using Wifi5 (AC) connectivity.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos