cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

15 days no broadband

Chizyd
Tuning in

Hi all, this is my last resort before I have to cancel as my cooling off period is coming to an end. I'll try to keep it short.

I renewed during the below as I assumed it would be a quick fix and this is when I noticed my current deal was ending

28th Dec - internet down
4th Jan (1st available appointment) - appointment, technician came and said it is an issue with the cable outside. Sent out cabling team, cabling team needed my permission to dig up drive and I wasn't here (permission now obtained to use neighbours property)
Called VM and gave required permissions 
5th Jan - Appointment but no show, promises etc, no one assigned
6th Jan - Appointment but no show, promises etc, no one assigned
Complaint raised - C-0601231593
7th Jan - Appointment but no show, spoke to a floor manager who has raised an escalation to see what's going on Ref: 116912_20933
9th Jan - Appointment between 8-1 confirmed via text on 8th Jan- no show!
Text message to call about our complaint
Called, person on call promised call back from him or his team tomorrow after 1. "He will take ownership"
Name: Faisal
10th Jan (13 days no net) - Appointment 8-1, no show
Faisal called at 1pm to check if team arrived, He sent an email to area manager to chase it up
When manager replied Faisal called me back to say someone be here before 5pm.
5pm still no show, Faisal called me back and said he has to allow the area manager one more opportunity so will be in touch as soon as he receives a reply.
"Next steps if no resolution, he will refer to his manager to step in
Will be in touch either by call or email tomorrow"
Text message received saying the same as the others, that someone will be here tomorrow (11th) between 8-1
11th Jan- (14days) Faisal sent email stating he was still waiting for a response from the area manager and he has sent another email chasing an update
Received another message stating work rescheduled for 12/01 between 8-1

So this is where we are, fully expecting no one to show again today as why would they. 

I am now beyond frustrated, out of pocket and feel I am going round in circles.

The original team that came to fit a new cable would have done it then and there if we had been able to give them permission so why are we still waiting all this time later.

Hoping someone can help as getting no where.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for your reply

We renewed 5th Jan when we still assumed the problem would be an easy fix. I absolutely don't/didn't want to cancel, unfortunately virgin offer the best broadband in my area so it was literally hoping someone could push the fix.

However to my surprise the guys came out today and I am back online. 

Now just waiting on resolution to my complaint and the compensation for total loss of service.

Thanks 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Cancel what in the cooling off period? 

You say internet down on 28th Dec, so you were connected before, and you say you renewed during this fiasco (!).  Your cooling off rights apply to the new contract.  If you cancel that, you revert to whatever previous contractual arrangement existed - either some previous fixed term, or 30 days notice. 

If you are seeking to cancel altogether (and I'm not sure you are) you need to be clear that you're invoking your cooling off rights for the new contract, AND offering 30 days notice assuming that you were not previously in a fixed term/discounted deal.  

Thanks for your reply

We renewed 5th Jan when we still assumed the problem would be an easy fix. I absolutely don't/didn't want to cancel, unfortunately virgin offer the best broadband in my area so it was literally hoping someone could push the fix.

However to my surprise the guys came out today and I am back online. 

Now just waiting on resolution to my complaint and the compensation for total loss of service.

Thanks 

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Well that's good news.

You mention permissions, and as VM couldn't have started until they had those, your compo claim likely starts from 5th Jan to 11th Jan (part days aren't counted under the auto comp rules).  So that's 7 days at £8.40 a day, making sixty odd quid. You should get it automatically, but don't be surprised if you have to complain, and even take to the Ombudsman - VM sometimes seem to struggle to read and apply the scheme rules.   

Yeah they are already trying to fob me off as "it wasnt a virgin media issue that caused loss of service but a cabling issue"

It has been a ridiculous couple of weeks, customer service is abysmal and I'm just hoping my new complaint will lead to a sensible resolution.

Thanks again

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I'm just hoping my new complaint will lead to a sensible resolution.

Possible, although VM's handling of complaints is done to the same universal standard of excellence that seems to apply to the rest of what they do.  I have a suspicion you'll find yourself here.  

@Chizyd wrote:

Yeah they are already trying to fob me off as "it wasnt a virgin media issue that caused loss of service but a cabling issue"

No I'm sorry, but I almost laughed out loud at that one! It's THEIR cable! You know I can't help wondering if their isn't a semi-official competition running at the VM call centres; 'whoever comes up with the most outlandish, BS excuse to tell the customer, gets a weekly prize of....'?

It has been a ridiculous couple of weeks, customer service is abysmal and I'm just hoping my new complaint will lead to a sensible resolution.

Indeed, yes, VM will never win any awards for customer service, and that's exactly how their senior management want it to work! Good luck with the new complaint. Still, if not, then please do come back here and we can advise on how to escalate it to the industry adjudicators if VM still insist on giving you the runaround.

Thanks again

Now one good thing about this sorry episode is this 'Faisal' you mention, who does appear to have tried to provide a semblance of customer services, by emailing and checking up. Now the fact that he wasn't able to do anything practical would be down to VM's broken and dysfunctional systems, but at least he tried. And I'm sure that with an attitude like that he won't be working for VM for very long!

I am absolutely willing to go to the Ombudsman and have told them as much. Unfortunately need to wait a while it seems but I absolutely will be taking it further if I don't any satisfaction.

Yeah I told them that, they wouldn't provide me with details to contact the 3rd party as only they can do it therefore its a VM issue. Scunnered with it all and will hopefully get some decent compensation. Kids are now able to play their consoles etc that they got for xmas and been without since 28th Dec so I'm relieved 😂

Hey there @Chizyd, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media forums.

Firstly I would like to apologise for the poor experience you have had with us regarding this cable replacement.
This is definitely not the service we wish to provide to our customers 😞
I've had a look on the system and I can see that the cable replacement has been completed and that the services are working.
May I ask if everything regarding your complaint has been sorted out?

Let us know and we can go on from there.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs