cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100% packet loss every 30 mins - phone and chat support not helpful

adargon
On our wavelength

Hi everyone, I am looking for some help with my VM connection.

I am experiencing 100% packet loss for around 1 minute every 30 minutes. It means that calls are dropped and streaming is interrupted. Really annoying!
This is the second time it has happened in the last 2 weeks. This current issue started 4 days ago and has been consistently happening ever since. 
Here is a link to my live BQM showing the issue: 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/bf00f00c58f87889c7dc573922c48b2baa834a3d

plus here's the actual image from today so far:

Capture.PNG

Here is what I have tried so far.
Restart the hub
Pinhole (factory) reset.
Phone support - they told me to wait for 4 days as there was a problem in the area. The issue reported is with catchup TV services, not broadband.
Chat support - same as above

I understand that if there is a VM problem in the area it can affect my services. However, that issue has existed for 2 months and my internet has been fine for most of that period. This does feel like a separate issue.
It is a really frustrating issue that I think most people wouldn't even be able to prove is happening. They'd just put it down to their device being flakey.

I'd like to speak with someone at VM that can offer some genuine advice other than 'turn it on and off again'. Any advice is gratefully received.

Thanks
Andy

20 REPLIES 20

adargon
On our wavelength

Update: Overnight my connection was cut a few times. Not sure whether this was to try and clear the problem or just a coincidence. It hasn't helped though, the problem is still going strong. I've attached a screengrab of the BQM.
Broadband04.04.23.png

That's the nationwide issue! - We all got that one!

Someone probably unplugged their DNS servers.......

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

adargon
On our wavelength

Update: The connection seems to be more normal right now. I didn't have a text update or any type of notification.
I guess I am never going to find out how it was fixed. I am only worried because I think I will experience this issue again if history is anything to go by.

06.04.23.png

Hi @adargon 

The issue from last week was fixed on Wednesday. I hope everything has been resolved for you but do keep us posted if you need further assistance.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

FuzzyLogic
Joining in

I have been getting this since the large outage on 4th April that affected pretty much every Virgin customer. have been waiting for a fix but not forthcoming. I have had engineers booked and then cancelled and i have also been told everything is working.... its impossible to work. 

FuzzyLogic_0-1684163353365.png

Here is my event log 

FuzzyLogic_1-1684163395817.png

Absolutely shocking support from Virgin TBH

FuzzyLogic
Joining in

Further on from this the engineer is booked to attend tomorrow and magically after over a month of issues, I haven't had a disconnect or packet loss since just after 9am this morning. this is all without any changes on my side. I think i will wait and see if i get a disconnect this afternoon and if not cancel the visit, i am just going to stress the connection with full downloads also to see if this makes it disconnect.

FuzzyLogic_0-1684238115485.png

Hi there @FuzzyLogic 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you with us. 

We are so sorry to hear that you have experienced some issues with your connection, please do let us know how things are looking after your engineer appointment? 

FuzzyLogic
Joining in

The engineer swapped out the Hub 4 for a Hub 5 and changed the attenuator, things are looking fine again since

FuzzyLogic_0-1684424506186.png

Hi FuzzyLogic,

Thanks for the update. I'm pleased to hear things seem to have improved since having your Hub upgraded.

If you need anything else, just let us know. We're always more than happy to help.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Beth

adargon
On our wavelength

The issue is BACK!
Started yesterday and continued into today (see graph). I have reported it to VM via a call. They say they will monitor it for 24 hours and get back to me.
It seems to me their process for diagnostics doesn't make it easy to spot intermittent problems. Apparently, there is no area issue but based on what happened before I think there is but it hasn't been spotted yet.
Any help from VM forum staff to get this resolved would be appreciated!17.07.23 Broadband.png