cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100% packet loss every 30 mins - phone and chat support not helpful

adargon
On our wavelength

Hi everyone, I am looking for some help with my VM connection.

I am experiencing 100% packet loss for around 1 minute every 30 minutes. It means that calls are dropped and streaming is interrupted. Really annoying!
This is the second time it has happened in the last 2 weeks. This current issue started 4 days ago and has been consistently happening ever since. 
Here is a link to my live BQM showing the issue: 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/bf00f00c58f87889c7dc573922c48b2baa834a3d

plus here's the actual image from today so far:

Capture.PNG

Here is what I have tried so far.
Restart the hub
Pinhole (factory) reset.
Phone support - they told me to wait for 4 days as there was a problem in the area. The issue reported is with catchup TV services, not broadband.
Chat support - same as above

I understand that if there is a VM problem in the area it can affect my services. However, that issue has existed for 2 months and my internet has been fine for most of that period. This does feel like a separate issue.
It is a really frustrating issue that I think most people wouldn't even be able to prove is happening. They'd just put it down to their device being flakey.

I'd like to speak with someone at VM that can offer some genuine advice other than 'turn it on and off again'. Any advice is gratefully received.

Thanks
Andy

20 REPLIES 20

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this...
What is being reported on the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to street cab/ postcode level.

The "compensation "timer" can also be started on this number if appropriate.
Faults may not be listed on the Area Status web page. Areas are not Geographic” they are "legacy billing" areas) and as such that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers across the country. So 0800 may give you more info, on local issues - but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers - or just you.
If nothing shows on there, try calling it in as a fault (free on 150 VM line - or 0345 454 1111 others - national rate) and see what they say when they test your connection. If they say it’s a known fault, get a fault reference number.

Or, a VM person should pick this thread up and be able to help but it can take a few days.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

adargon
On our wavelength

Thanks, John for your swift reply.
According to the message, there is an issue with all services. 'It is complex and is taking a lot longer than usual to fix. Please bear with us.'

When I tried to register for text updates it said it couldn't do that and offered to get an update from a rep. It then said do you want to check the local area for 'broadband' issues. It said there are no broadband issues. A bit confusing but would back up my theory that there is an issue in the area but they don't think it is a broadband issue.

I am just going to have to wait for VM person to pick up this thread.
It's so frustrating that they cannot tell you more about what the issue is. The VM reps on the phone don't know.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Its may be simpler than that... as I said above "Area" faults are usually when many 1000's of customers are affected across the country. If it is just a local issue then it wouldnt appear as an Area issue... but would report on the local faults 0800 number. But you areright the CS agents on the phone wont have any more information

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi adargon 👋

Thanks for your post and welcome back to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing some problems with your service, and have been for a prolonged period of time. I've taken a look on our side, and it does appear that there is a known problem in your area, I've put the details below.

Fault Type: SNR (Signal-To-Noise) - You might find that your Virgin Fibre, Voice and Virgin TV services are intermittent, with the picture freezing or disappearing now and then.
Fault Reference: F010423350
Estimated Fix Time: 31 MAR 2023 13:00

It does also appear that you're registered for updates already. I'm very sorry for any inconvenience caused by this problem, and our teams are working as quickly as possible to get things sorted.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

adargon
On our wavelength

Update: I am still suffering from this issue. I was told it would be fixed on 28/3/23 at 1 pm originally. I contacted VM support after that time on the 28th and they said it will now be fixed at 1 pm on 31/3/23.  Who is to say that at the new target time and date, it will get extended again?

I am pretty angry and frustrated now. I have been cut off in numerous calls and streaming shows or even browsing the internet at times just doesn't work. 
I have raised a complaint and the VM folks in that department said they have raised the priority of the fix but how do I know that is the case? 

It all seems just empty words and gestures with no progress. @Reece_MH what happens when the new deadline passes with no fix? There doesn't seem to be any options for us end-users...

Andy 

adargon
On our wavelength

Further update:
Just got a text message to say that they have fixed my problem and monitored my connection for 24 hours and it is tip-top! EXCEPT.... I am still experiencing the same issue! No changes - still dropping out for around a minute every 30 minutes 

This just leads me to believe it was initially a different problem they were trying to fix, as I stated many times to various VM people.
What do I do now???

adargon
On our wavelength

Another update:
I have been on the web chat and they informed me that the problem was fixed yesterday and now there is a new problem that has an estimated fix date of 11 April. 
I am not experiencing a different problem it is the same one, which is why I am convinced they don't know what the problem is. I am beyond frustrated by this because I just want the engineers to see the data I am seeing and they would have a better chance of fixing it. 
I have a feeling no one from VM will reply to this post now because it is too troublesome.

Is anyone from VM brave enough?

Sorry to hear that you are still affecting by an area issue @adargon 

I have checked the system at our side and can see there is an SNR (signal noise ratio) area concern affect you currently. You might find that your Virgin Fibre, Voice and Virgin TV services are intermittent, with the picture freezing or disappearing now and then. 

These types of issues are quite complex and sometimes require trail and error fixes and also monitoring and investigation whilst the team try to locate and resolve the cause of the signal disruptions. 

We would not be able to arrange an engineer for they would not be able to resolve at the property. I can assure you that the team are working to have this fully resolved for you as soon as possible. 

The estimated fix time is currently 11th April 2023 at 10:10am, this of course can be extended and also resolved before this date. Please let us know if you have any further concerns after this date and we can investigate further, or if you experience a total loss of broadband service rather than intermittency. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

adargon
On our wavelength

Hey Carly (and anyone from VM),

Thanks for the information.
Let me get this straight; I am now to wait until 11th April and hope that the problem is fixed. If not then you will extend the estimated time for a fix for the third time (or maybe you'll say it is fixed and immediately open another issue as you did before).
For me, this issue hasn't changed in nature and has been consistently ongoing since 23rd March. I am still having an extremely poor experience when online and there appears that there is nothing I can do to help you investigate.
I have a couple of questions I would like to ask:
1. In what situations does the fault get escalated such that it can be fully resolved? Can this issue be escalated?
2. What can I do if VM just keeps extending the date for fixing the problem without actually fixing it?