cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access primary account

metb
Joining in

I have a primary virgin media account under my name for broadband at my house and I am trying to change some details on there. However any time I log into virgin media it takes me to an account in which I'm a secondary account at someone else's house. With both accounts I use the same ntlworld email.

7 REPLIES 7

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @metb

Thanks for using the Community Forums to get this perplexing issue with your email looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration 😥 I would be more than happy to look into this for you!

Can I firstly ask if you've moved home since this issue occurred please? 

I have a helpful link here which helps with a broad variety of email issues & queries 👉 Managing Emails - It may be a useful link to bookmark for future! 

Thanks,

Megan_L

Hi Megan,

I set up my primary account for broadband when I moved into a new house in 2022. I've been getting broadband and paying for it monthly fine since then.

I just can't access the account to make any changes, as everytime I log in using my ntlworld email it takes me to my mum's primary account, I assume since that was the account my email was initially set up with.

Is there a way for me to access my own primary account please? I have both account numbers and area codes for both my primary and my mum's account if that would help?

Thank you for confirming this @metb 

Did you have a service account prior to moving to your new address? If not, you'll need to set up a new account with your email here and register for an online account.

You might need to delete the email from the account as secondary, before you can create a new account for your own personal service account with the same email. 

Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@metb A word of caution.  If the Ntlworld email address concerned is a secondary account on your Mum's primary account then it will remain part of that account for as long as your Mum maintains her VM broadband service.  Should she ever close her broadband account all associated email addresses will be closed 90 days later.

If you use this email address regularly you would be best advised to setup a new third party email address as your main address.  If your secondary email address is deleted from your Mum's account it will be gone for good.  Once you have a new email account set up use that to register your own My Virgin Media account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Carley,

When I try to set up a new account I receive this message 'Sorry, you can’t use a @ntlworld.com email address, please choose a different email.' However this is the email I've used to purchase my broadband and receive messages about bills.

If the email is deleted from the secondary account, will my email address be deleted entirely?

Hi @Graham_A , I was concerned this may be the case. Do you know of any way this email can be transferred to my primary account at all without losing it?

Would save a lot of work changing the address for everything I've ever signed up with using my email.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@metb Unfortunately an individual email address cannot be transferred from one account to another account with a different account holder.

I'm afraid that you are going to have to bite the bullet and make the change to a non Virginmedia email address.

Since May 2022 VM no longer provide new email addresses to new or existing customers.  From that date new My Virgin Media accounts have to use a non VM email as the user name.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks