cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer. Two problems. Not happy!

wesw82
On our wavelength

I’m brand new to VM. I’ve just switched from BT. As welcomes go, VM have to have given me the worst welcome ever. 

My QuickStart package was left outside in the rain by Yodel. The courier didn’t knock or ring my bright red video doorbell. 

Problems (so far!):

When attempting to sign up for My Virgin Media, I enter my details as written on my VM contract. I am then met with an error message:

Oops, we've ran into a problem.
Wait a minute and try again. If this doesn't work, please come back later. (Code: DEF01)

I’ve tried countless times and using different browsers and devices. I’ve cleared the caches on each browser. Nothing works. 

Like many others, when trying to activate Volt benefits (I’ve got an O2 pay monthly contract) now that I’m a VM customer, I’m told to sign up with VM when I try to activate it through My O2 and when I try to sort it via my VM I can’t because of problem number 1! 

This is infuriating. Add on to this that the design of the Hub 3 is ridiculous. It’s designed so that it tips over backwards if you attach the power brick and any number of Ethernet cables into the back of it. The unit that arrived with me when I received my kit was also clearly a second hand unit with scuffs and scratches and a worrying rattling sound. 

TL:DR - can’t sign up for My Virgin Media and can’t activate Volt benefits! I’ll be leaving during my cooling off period and going elsewhere unless this is sorted within the week! 

11 REPLIES 11

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @wesw82, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media forums!

I'm sorry to hear about the poor journey you've had since joining with Virgin Media, it is definitely not the service we wish to deliver.

Regarding the delivery by Yodel, have you got in touch with them to query as to why the package was left where it was and how it was? You can reach out to them on 0344 755 0117.

The issue with My Virgin Media - I do apologise for that, I will assist you further on that and send you a private message as it seems to be a technical error on our end, once we get that sorted we can then get the Volt benefits added through.

With the way the Hub 3 is designed - it should not be tipping over, may I ask how you have set it up? Are you able to send a picture or a video?

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

wesw82
On our wavelength

Hi Ilyas,

I think I have resolved most of my issues via WhatsApp with one of your colleagues - which is very encouraging! 

However the hub is still problematic and has WiFi drop outs as well. I’ve attached a picture of the tilting issue 

E6FBFF2B-319D-4BEE-957C-74DCA3CA4B23.jpeg

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @wesw82, thanks for speaking with us today.

I'm glad the issue has now been resolved.
As always - reach out if you ever need anything 🙂

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

wesw82
On our wavelength

Hi Ilyas,

I hope you are well? I was wondering if you could possibly help me with a new issue I’m having?

I was recently sent a Hub5 by the customer service team on WhatsApp. 

As I have Volt benefits I was also previously sent a WiFi pod to help my WiFi coverage. 

Since setting up the new Hub5 the WiFi pod is recognised by the Connect App, has a MAC address, but has no IP address and no clients connect to it. It used to work perfectly with the Hub3.

I have heard that there are WiFi Pod 2’s that work with the Hub5. I’ve also heard that this problem can be fixed with a remote update to the pod by yourselves? 

How can I solve this?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best wishes,

Will 

Hi wesw82

Thanks for coming back to us. Can we ask if you have changed the hub settings at all? Have you tried a pin hole reset on the hub and tried to re-connect the pod again?

You can use the link here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadbenjamin_trntband/reboot-or-reset-hub

Can we ask you to try this first, if the pods are still unable to connect after you have performed this, please come back to us.

Kind regards Jodi. 

wesw82
On our wavelength

Hi Jodi,

Thanks for getting back to me! I hope you’re well?

Yes I have tried a full pinhole reset. Several times in fact. I changed the SSID and network password when prompted to but that’s all I’ve done. 

I did the same with my old Hub3 and this didn’t cause any problems. 

Can the pod be reset or reconnected to my Hub or updated remotely? Or is there a new version of the pod that would work with the Hub5? 

I’m desperate for a solution as I work from home. 

Look forward to hearing from you shortly. 

Will

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Will,

Which pods do  you have from VM?

If it's like the one in the picture at the bottom of this post then you should be aware of the following requirements for the pods to work with the Hubs.

The Hub must be in 'Router Mode' and not have been changed to 'Modem Mode'
Channel Optimisation must be left on
The SSIDs must be the same and broadcast enabled
The SSID must be password protected
The Passphrases of the SSIDs must match
As long as all of the above points are all met then the Pods will automatically connect to your Hub's WiFi and begin broadcasting. The wireless details from the Pods will be the same as the Hub's details, so no additional steps are required to connect up the devices in the home. 

The following linked page is for help using either the original wifi boosters and the newer wifi pods

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/booster-and-wi-fi-pods 

wifi podwifi pod

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

wesw82
On our wavelength

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for your kind reply. 

Yes my pod looks like the one pictured. 

My Hub5 and my network in general meets all of your mentioned requirements. 

As mentioned before the pod worked absolutely fine with my old Hub3. It’s only since setting up the Hub5 that things have gone very wobbly. 

The Connect app isn’t working either so I can’t check on the status of the pod. No clients are connected to it when I look on the admin page for the hub. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Will,

The Connect app is a very iffy, sometimes it'll work, sometimes it won't.

It does work with my hub 5 - I've tested it on a couple of android mobiles and also a couple of android tablets, all running either android 11 or 12.

I believe it may have issues with android 13.

I hope the following is useful, although time consuming, but sadly not guaranteed to work.

I did have to fiddle about with the connect app on two of the android devices. Apart from uninstalling and reinstalling the app I also had to go into the main android Settings > Apps  and clear the cache for the Connect app.  After doing that I also had to reboot my hub 5 for it to be recognised. On one of the tablets after doing that I also had to reboot the tablet a couple of times.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali