Menu
Capt_Sarcastic
Dialled in
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

App Madness! My Virgin Media/Virgin Media/Virgin Mobile. No mobile app anymore.

I used to happily use the "Virgin Mobile" app to tell me the status of my mobile contract.  This has now been silently replaced after an app update with the "My Virgin Media" app. This doesn't work, and simply hangs after the splash screen, and there is no way for me to progress past the sign in screen.  The confusingly similar named "Virgin Media" app simply shows me the status of my TV/Phone/Broadband contract, and has nothing about my mobile phone.

So how to I get back the ability to see my mobile bill and usage?  The new app simply doesn't allow me to progress beyond the sign-in screen.  There are no buttons or menus available, swiping doesn't do anything, and all I can to is read the privacy policy and T&Cs.  I can correctly log in to the "Virgin Media" app, but there is no mobile info.

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: App Madness! My Virgin Media/Virgin Media/Virgin Mobile. No mobile app anymore.

The Virgin Mobile app has been updated to link to both mobile and cable services.

In the combined app for cable and mobile services there is an 'Accounts' button on the top right of the app that allows you to change between a Virgin Media cable account and a Virgin Mobile account

However I'm not sure why you're not able to get into the app itself now. I've had the update on my Android device and it works for both.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Capt_Sarcastic
Dialled in
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: App Madness! My Virgin Media/Virgin Media/Virgin Mobile. No mobile app anymore.

@BenMcr wrote:

The Virgin Mobile app has been updated to link to both mobile and cable services.

In the combined app for cable and mobile services there is an 'Accounts' button on the top right of the app that allows you to change between a Virgin Media cable account and a Virgin Mobile account

However I'm not sure why you're not able to get into the app itself now. I've had the update on my Android device and it works for both.

Is that the app that installs as "Virgin Media" or the one that installs as "My Virgin Media"? There are actually two apps on the Play Store that are both listed as "My Virgin Media", but they are different and install as the two differently named apps! I think the one I need is the one that replaced the mobile app, but it doesn't load properly as described above.

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

The app that's being updated for both Mobile and Cable is this one.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.virginmedia.android.youraccount

What phone do you have? Do you have any VPN services switched on?

0 Kudos
Capt_Sarcastic
Dialled in
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@BenMcr wrote:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.virginmedia.android.youraccount

That's the one that won't run for me.  I've got an aging Motorola Moto G3 that's stuck on Android 6, (I'm not a mobile power user), but surely it shouldn't have downloaded if it's not compatible with that old a version of Android.  No VPN.

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

According to the Play Store listing it's compatible with Android 5.0 and later so I honestly don't know why it isn't working on your device at the moment.

Unfortunately my device is a S10 with Android 10 and I don't have an older device myself to have look on.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@BenMcr wrote:

That link says last updated on 24 July 2020 so surely not the new version?

If I follow the link it shows as already installed and when I click on open it just opens the old Virgin mobile app which doesn't work unless mobile data is switched on.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Due to the way apps roll out on Android not everyone has the new app yet in their Play Store. Some people will still see the older Mobile only app until the staged release completes.

My page says last updated 18th November.

I assume that's why the other My Virgin Media app for cable services hasn't been removed from the Play Store yet.

As for the issue, it's been said that the links to the T&Cs and Privacy policy can be seen. There should also be two buttons below the links:

Screenshot_20201202-230551_My Virgin Media.png

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@BenMcr  Thanks.  Do you know if the new combined app will need mobile data access to set up or will the broadband side still work with just the cable sign in?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Capt_Sarcastic
Dialled in
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@BenMcr wrote:

Due to the way apps roll out on Android not everyone has the new app yet in their Play Store. Some people will still see the older Mobile only app until the staged release completes.

My page says last updated 18th November.

I assume that's why the other My Virgin Media app for cable services hasn't been removed from the Play Store yet.

As for the issue, it's been said that the links to the T&Cs and Privacy policy can be seen. There should also be two buttons below the links:

Screenshot_20201202-230551_My Virgin Media.png

That's as far as I can get, but neither of the sign in buttons are there.

0 Kudos