cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media won't refund my PAYG credit even though they are stopping the PAYG option

LazyDaisy321
On our wavelength

Virgin Media are stopping the PAYG and, for me, they have given a date of 17th October.

Their website https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-mobile-pay-as-you-closing says:

"What's happening?

We’re phasing out our Pay As You Go service from October 2021 to January 2022. 

Don't worry, there are lots of options for you to choose from, but your SIM will stop working during these dates if you don’t take any action.

We’ll be in touch closer to the time to inform you of the date when your SIM will stop working.

In the meantime, we’re here to help.

I’m on a Pay As You Go plan. What do I do?

You can switch over to one of our Pay Monthly plans or call us on 789 to discuss your options.

If you want to stick with a Pay As You Go plan, switching to another provider is simple. Just remember to get your Port Authorisation Code (PAC) before your end date so you can keep your mobile number, otherwise you’ll lose it.

There’s a few ways to get your PAC:

• Sign in to your online account and select Switching to make your request
  • Text ‘PAC’ and your date of birth (in DD/MM/YYYY format) to 65075 For example: PAC 01/03/1984
  • Give us a call on 789 and we’ll get this sorted for you.

You can request a refund for any leftover credit by registering your details with us at Your Account, then calling 789.

Good stuff to know

Don’t forget to use up your credit up before our Pay As You Go service ends or request a refund for any leftover credit. Got a Crave reward to use up? Make sure you use that before the end date, too.

Need a little extra help? Call us for free on 789 from your Virgin Mobile phone."

I have decided to leave and have requested my PAC.

I have phoned 789 today and they tell me I can't have a refund of my leftover credit.

Please refer to a Moderator to advise me why I have been told this when your website tells me I can have a refund.

Thank you.

51 REPLIES 51

pill_eater
Tuning in

I communicated with an agent through online chat, and as helpful as they were, they confirmed that refunds can only be gotten through calling 789.

Forgive my sarcasm, but one would think a large telecommunications company that toots it's own horn about how fast it's internet services are and how great 5G mobile internet is, they would have online methods in place to conduct the simplest thing as giving a customer their money back when a service is soon to be terminated.  But no, they are sadly stuck in the 1970's pre-internet age and require customers struggle with their poor 2G network coverage to make a call to customer services.  C'mon?!

I was thinking the world was moving forwards and accepting people's quirks and differences.  For someone who very much doesn't enjoy phone conversations, it makes it rather annoying.

I did, begrudgingly, speak to an operator today who took my bank card details to issue a refund as well as provide the PAC code (which also got sent by text).  The operator could not issue the refund without the account holder on the line, so I hope all goes well and smoothly for our hearing impaired friend and above.

The new PAYG provider made it simple to enter the PAC code, after logging into my account, and entering into a box on their website.  Simple, easy, quick.  So far, with their SIM, I see a full set of a signal indicators, so that's a plus right away.

Let's just hope that all moves along smoothly from here.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @pill_eater,

Thank you for the update.

I am sorry for any inconvenience caused with this, please do let us know how you get on once you have called the number provided.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

pill_eater
Tuning in

Just a quick update.

All good - hoorah!

a. The refund has been processed and the remaining credit is now in my bank account as real £ funds.
b. I've kept my number for use with the new PAYG provider.  New provider's SIM is in the phone and it all works as expected (same old number).

If people are going to keep their number and have it moved to the new provider, I do suggest actually following the instructions on the website(s).
1. Call VirginMobile, request the refund of remaining credit due to PAYG service ending.  Also request a PAC code to keep your number.
2. Provide the PAC code to the new provider.  Switch over will happen the next working day (-ish)
3. *** Keep your VirginMobile SIM in your phone until the network service disconnects ***
4. Swap out your SIM card for the one from the new provider, and you'll likely be bombarded with a number of texts with information for installing MMS function on the new network etc.

Like a typical male I didn't read the instruction to keep the old SIM in until it gets cut off.  Instead I put the new SIM in another phone and wanted to watch the progress by rebooting the two phones periodically.  Whilst all went OK in the end (~ 5pm), I don't advise this as the new provider may think your number is transferred and send install texts to the existing number, which is still on the VM SIM - so kind of useless and confusing.  Thankfully, the texts were resent once the number moved over to the new SIM without me having to do anything, and all now works.

Thanks to the OP here, and the mods for chiming in.  It's not their fault that the system makes the customer phone up to get this done.   As the phrase goes 'it is what it is'.

I have just recieved my Pac for moving to ASDA mobile where the Vodaphone signal is ten times better. However Virgin say I cannot have a credit refund.  Are they right?

Because you requested a PAC, it is essentially saying you have quit and left Virgin Mobile - so you can't have a refund in that circumstance.

What you needed to do was tell Virgin Mobile, via a phone call, that you request a refund because the service is ending.  That way you do get a refund, because their service is ending and you are making efforts to switch.  At that time you also request a PAC and the operator will happily provide that.

If you already have moved, it's probably going to cost something at least to call Virgin Mobile (not free on other networks), but you may be able to get a refund as they should still have you 'on file' so to speak, depending on how long you moved.

Ah, you say you have requested a PAC for moving but not actually moved yet.
If this is the case, ignore your currently provided PAC and call 789 from a Virgin Mobile phone for free, and request (1) a refund for remaining credit (2) a PAC to switch to another PAYG provider.  Reason: Virgin Mobile is no longer offering PAYG in Jan 2022.

It's irritating and stupid that one has to phone, but there it is.  It was all handled just fine when I called, even though I'd rather not.
The transition was somewhat hampered by me trying to be smart and running both SIMs simultaneously via different handsets.  If you don't do that it'll be quite smooth.

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @VicTaylor

Thank you for the update. Sorry for the mixed messages you have received regarding a credit refund. Have you followed @pill_eater 's advice of ignoring your currently provided PAC and calling 789 from a Virgin Mobile phone for free to request a refund for remaining credit and another PAC to switch to another PAYG provider? Please do let us know how you got on with this.

Kind regards,

Serena

Fwiw still waiting for £24.85 credit on my VM FORCED PAYG transfer to O2 for mobile 0798***560 since Nov2021. Will raise my own thread and/or supply PM/DM detail to VM as required. 
Meantime Merry XMAS….. waiting for Santa to bring my “suffering fools gladly” Jumper+ earplugs….  :p,

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED

Hello horseman

Thanks for posting in regards to your Pay As You Go balance and refund, I appreciate you raising this via the forums.

I'm happy to take look into this further for you but as you have mentioned, will need some more details from you so will send you a Private Message. Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Rob

cheers Rob - PM/DM’d you….. 

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED

Thanks horseman, I have replied to your PM 🙂

Rob