cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM have put debt collectors out for money i dont owe!!

Hannahg383
Joining in

Hi everyone, 

I’m really hoping someone can help. I am beyond furious with VM and the amount of stress and upset they have caused me, I just cant put into words. 
Its fairly complicated so please bear with me! 

Back in September I ordered a new iphone 13 with monthly contract sim from VM. It was due to be delivered the next day but never turned up. So I contacted customer services who told me there had been an error and the order cancelled whilst in transit. They set me up a new order and I was assured it would arrive the next day. 

The next day still no phone! My daughter then played me a voicemail she had received to her number (also a VM contract but sim only) which was from customer services informing me something had not gone through on the security check and so the order had been cancelled again. 
Having had enough of being messed around i went back to my old provider and got sorted straight away. All sorted, or so I thought. 

A few days later and checking my online account I saw that both phones and sims relating to the cancelled orders were now shown on my account. Slightly annoyed, I used the web chat and was told that everything would be cancelled and it would disappear off my account. 
A couple weeks later I received an email with a bill for £21.64 for a phone and sim that i never received. 
getting angrier now, I contact customer services again who say then can see that there has been an error, the would cancel the accounts and the bill and that I would not need to pay anything. 

Another few weeks pass and I log on to my online account to see the bill is still sitting there. Very angry I make a complaint in writing to the complaints team. I receive a letter back which basically told me nothing other than to check my online account on the app (geez i hadnt thought of that!) 

So fast forward to today when I open a letter from a debt collection agency instructing me to pay the £21.64 or be taken to court! 
Absolutely fuming I spent an hour on the phone this morning to eventually be passed to someone who told me that he could see all the times I had contacted them, and that the bill should have been cancelled back in September but for some reason wasn’t. 
He informed me that he had shown the bill as paid and that this was linked to the debt collectors and so the matter would be solved. 
He also told me he would put this all in writing in an email and send it along with the all important customer feedback survey 🙄

Well lo and behold 8 hours later I still have no email and the bill is still showing on my account. 

I am so upset that my only day off before Xmas has been spent dealing with this company who clearly tell you one thing the dont follow through! 
The call centre is clearly abroad and so noisy in the background you cant understand them! 

I am at the point now where I feel my only option is to contact the ombudsman of which i have to get a letter of deadlock which i doubt i will be able to get! but this does not help me with the immediate problem of the debt collector which a mark against my name will be looked at so negatively by my work. 
so if anyone has and sliver of hope that they may be able to offer me I would be so incredibly greatful!! 

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Sadly you're not the only one.  However, the adjudicator can order VM to (a) clean up your credit history, (b) pay you substantial compensation, and (c) issue a formal letter of apology (not a meant apology, but useful if anybody says "what was that about?").

In this case the adjudicator will be either the Financial Ombudsman (since it's supposedly a credit-related debt), or CISAS (who deal with telecoms-specific complaints).  The forum staff will probably offer to resolve - make sure that any settlement is fully to your satisfaction - and the compensation should be of the order £150-250.  If, as a result of VM's skinflint policy on goodwill gestures, their settlement offer is short of my suggested range, go for adjudication.  I'd start with the Financial Ombudsman, but in either case, read their customer guidance first, and ideally phone them to understand the process for getting a complaint accepted.  As you've already got a formal complaint in play with VM that's the first step - now respond to the fob-off letter with a reply rejecting their resolution and asking for a "deadlock letter", and as soon as you've got that you head off to your chosen adjudicator. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Sadly you're not the only one.  However, the adjudicator can order VM to (a) clean up your credit history, (b) pay you substantial compensation, and (c) issue a formal letter of apology (not a meant apology, but useful if anybody says "what was that about?").

In this case the adjudicator will be either the Financial Ombudsman (since it's supposedly a credit-related debt), or CISAS (who deal with telecoms-specific complaints).  The forum staff will probably offer to resolve - make sure that any settlement is fully to your satisfaction - and the compensation should be of the order £150-250.  If, as a result of VM's skinflint policy on goodwill gestures, their settlement offer is short of my suggested range, go for adjudication.  I'd start with the Financial Ombudsman, but in either case, read their customer guidance first, and ideally phone them to understand the process for getting a complaint accepted.  As you've already got a formal complaint in play with VM that's the first step - now respond to the fob-off letter with a reply rejecting their resolution and asking for a "deadlock letter", and as soon as you've got that you head off to your chosen adjudicator. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Hannahg383,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with our Mobile services and that this has been your experience with our team. 

I'll be more than happy to look into this further for you and see what we can do to help and assist with. 

I will send you a Private Message to confirm some details. Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I'll be in touch soon.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thank you @andrew_g that is helpful. 
I cant believe how shocking their customer service is. 
The reply letter I had from the complaint just directed me back to the customer services number if i wasn't happy. Do I just send another complaint through the online complaints portal?

Thanks again

@Hannahg383 wrote:

Thank you @andrew_g that is helpful. 
I cant believe how shocking their customer service is. 
The reply letter I had from the complaint just directed me back to the customer services number if i wasn't happy. Do I just send another complaint through the online complaints portal?

Give Paulina_Z a chance to sort this out, as the forum staff do want to help, and that's quicker and easier for you - but bear in mind the three things required to resolve this, and don't be bought off with an inadequate compensation offer.

If Paulina can't resolve this to your satisfaction that'll be because of VM's policies and processes are stopping her, but in that case you use the complaint form making it clear that you're replying to reject the offered resolution to complaint reference C-XXXXXXX.  Or you could do it in writing by recorded delivery.