Menu
lucapusceddu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

VERY URGENT, Help please!! - handset just says "sim card registration failed"

Hello,

my virginmobile service has suddently disappeared, any time I try switching on the phone, it just says "SIM CARD REGISTRATION FAILED"

Tried my online virgin mobile account and noticed a message mentioning some package being despatched to me last July! But I have never ordered anything!

What has happened??! Has Virgin sent me a new SIM card against my will and deactivated my usual sim card?

I am stranded abroad unable to return to UK due to Covid, and desperately need my phone!

Please get back to me pretty please!!

Thank you

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: VERY URGENT, Help please!! - handset just says "sim card registration failed"

Sounds very much that you had the older red SIM card which may well have been switched off as these have to be swapped for technical reasons.

As you are abroad you will have to get Virgin to send a new SIM to a nominated UK address. The person responsible will have to activate the SIM in the UK and then post it on 

No other way round

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

lucapusceddu
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: VERY URGENT, Help please!! - handset just says "sim card registration failed"

OH. MY. GOD.

This is catastrophic. Are you sure Virgin could not and should not help me directly with this? 

Are you implying every Virginmobile customer with an "old" sim card has had it replaced at some point? Is this legal, even? Can they force you?

Most importantly, why did they do this - send me a new sim card - without alerting me to it, asking me for the address they should send it to? Such negligence is now costing me an average of £50/day loss of income as I am missing phone calls.

At any rate thanks so very much, enlli, for your kind help here. Much much appreciated.

I DO HOPE ONE OF THE MODERATORS MAY AT SOME POINT RESPOND WITH MORE DETAILS.

Thank you all

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Virtually all the old SIM cards have been replaced. The changeover started in Dec 2017 and I am told they are comming to the end of that process.

All I can do is escalate your post 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

lucapusceddu
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you SO MUCH, enlli, for your help with this.

PLEASE PLEASE do escalate for me? I am desperate, this is a massive blow, as well as super complicated to resolve in the manner you suggested, for reasons too long to explain.

It seems absurd I was never notified of this, in any way. I HAVE TO speak with Virgin about it at least, but they're impossible to speak with. This forum was my last and only chance to get any help, after trying every other way to reach out to them. 

Thank you ever so much

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey @lucapusceddu,

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with your sim card at the moment.

I can see on your account that we have sent you numerous text messages advising about the sim migration.

The Sim migration is to move you onto a Virgin controlled sim and so that you can take advantage of the new Virgin network, I can assure you that it is legal for us to migrate you onto a new sim card.

We will always send the sim card to the address listed on your account and unfortunately we cannot send this to an address outside of the UK.

Your account shows that you have received a new sim card and this was activated in the last week of September, could anybody have done this at your UK address?

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
lucapusceddu
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steven,

thanks for your reply.

I have not received the sim card you refer to, as I have been stranded abroad since March, I simply have not been in London all this time. I have no idea how that sim got activated, most likely a fraudulent use by someone in the same building. If that sim is being used, perhaps you ought to inform the police? I am not the person using that sim.

My phone and sim worked OK until about 2 weeks ago, when I briefly switched on the phone to check for messages; I could get to my sim's content fine back then. Then as I switched on the phone today, the sim did not connect.

As every call/text is recorded, I am sure you you would be able to track what that sim card is being used for? I am seriously concerned. And I need access to my phone as soon as possible as this is majorly impacting my ability to work now.

Also, please can you let me know why have my records disappeared from my virginmobile account online? I would like to verify your claim that you had sent me many texts alerting me of the sim changes, which as said I never saw.

Thank you very much,

Luca

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey @lucapusceddu,

Having looked further into this, your sim was sent out already activated and has not been used at all. So there has been no illegal use has happened.

The sim card that you currently have in your phone will no longer work for you, if you want the sim card to be sent out to you whilst you're not in the country, you would need to get this sent to you from the UK by a family member of friend.

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
lucapusceddu
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Steven.

That sim card is no lost and cannot be retrieved in any way by friends or family. It will have been destroyed, thrown away, or sent back to the sender. What do I do in this case? Order a new sim to be sent to a chosen address via my online account? Is that the right thing to do?

Also, please could you kindly reply to my second question in my previous message:

"Also, please can you let me know why have my records disappeared from my virginmobile account online? I would like to verify your claim that you had sent me many texts alerting me of the sim changes, which as said I never saw."

As you did state "I can see on your account that we have sent you numerous text messages advising about the sim migration", I am not quite clear as to why YOU are able to access my account data, whereas I - the account holder - cannot?

many thanks

Luca

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I work for Virgin Media have been able to access your account via our customer management system, that I have been able gain access via the information from your community profile.

Regarding your sim card, I can arrange for a new to be sent out but we can only send these to UK addresses, I will send over a private message so that we can pass account security and get this arranged.

Nothing should have been removed from your online account as this is still open on our system.  We have notes on our side saying that you have been contacted at the end of June throughout July, August and September.

Regards

Steven_L 

0 Kudos