Menu
Meriti
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

VAT receipt for PAYG mobile top up

Is it possible to get a VAT receipt for a PAYG mobile top up made through the Virgin website?

The payment is shown under "Top up history".

This is needed for tax purposes.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: VAT receipt for PAYG mobile top up

Phone top-ups are rated 0% for VAT. All you are doing is adding credit to your PAYG account. The VAT charge, as with Landline calls is included with the call charges when you spend that credit making a call.

So if your provider charges 10p per minute for a call this would be in a ratio of 8p call cost/2p tax etc.

https://www.justanswer.co.uk/tax/86r2r-questions-vat-1-when-buy-top-pay.html 

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Meriti
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, that explains a lot.  Like why intermediary agents for VM PAYG top-up's mark their receipts as 0% VAT.

I suspect Virgin Mobile could provide VAT receipts when bought directly, if they really wanted to, but it's never going to happen.  Much better for them to sell a business contract.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Meriti wrote:

I suspect Virgin Mobile could provide VAT receipts when bought directly, if they really wanted to, but it's never going to happen.  Much better for them to sell a business contract.

How & from whom you top-up makes no difference. You are just swapping credit in your pocket for credit you can use on your phone. You are not actually "buying" anything. I don't think they ever made mobiles with coin slots, despite the size of the early ones😀

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Meriti
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

How & from whom you top-up makes no difference. You are just swapping credit in your pocket for credit you can use on your phone. You are not actually "buying" anything. I don't think they ever made mobiles with coin slots, despite the size of the early ones😀

Thanks.  I get that. 🙂

There is anecdotal evidence that other suppliers have managed to do it for PAYG customers in the past, which is why I suspect that as many things with tax, "it depends".  Your explanation makes perfect sense though.

0 Kudos
Meriti
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Update: I can now download VAT receipts for a PAYG contract 🙂 - albeit with another provider.

So it is possible (in a legal sense) for a provider to arrange for VAT receipts, just that VM choose not to.  This isn't the reason I moved, however it was a nice surprise and the icing on the cake is the receipts are addressed to my company not me personally.  I won't spam the forum with competitor products so but will try to answer PMs.

0 Kudos