Menu
phia0904
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Sudden unexplained data usage - and huge fee

Hi,

I have just received my mobile bill, to find a fee four times the size of my plan cost. This is apparently a fee for exceeding my data usage.

I don't use the internet on my phone, I use it for calls and texts, so data was not important when choosing my plan. I have been on this plan for four years, paying my plan cost every month without issue.

A couple of weeks ago I was alerted to the potential problem - I received a text from Virgin saying I had used 100% of my data. Which threw me because as I said, I do not use the data. I do not download apps, play games, or use anything on my phone that requires it. I think some data may be used for small background running of the phone that I am not aware of, however my mobile plan has been covering this every month, for four years, without a problem, and my behaviour this month has not changed in any way that could account for this data spike.

So I called Virgin. The operator was unable to help me or explain the usage, she said I would just have to wait for my bill. She did say I could stop any further usage by going to settings and turning off mobile data - which I did.

Now that I have received my bill it shows data usage on the hour, every hour, for every day of the entire month. It starts off with small kb amounts, but from the 7th Feb at exactly 13.06, these suddenly jump up to as much as 38mb, still on the hour, every hour and continue to the end of the month.

The bill show the call I made to Virgin, after which I turned off my data. But the mb data usage continues, on the hour, every hour.

After the same usage for four years, why has this happened?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Sudden unexplained data usage - and huge fee

well discussed in other threads - not sure if its a bug or something else but others have said to have had this refunded - will flag this to get a quicker comment from VM

@ModTeam not sure if you are making a list - if so this needs adding or at least commenting on

Tony
phia0904
Tuning in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your message Tony.

I spoke to Virgin and they said they would get back in touch, but so far...crickets.

Although I did get a text saying they're sending me a new SIM "so we can roll out improvements". I don't know if it's related but they make no reference to my current issues.

I really appreciate your response and potential explanation and hope that at some point Virgin do the same.

All the best,

Sophia

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi phia0904,

I am very sorry to hear of these unexpected mobile data charges that you've received.

When did you call and speak with the team about this? Did they expand any further at all on the charges that you've incurred, or indeed about the replacement SIM card that seems to be on its way to you?

Kind regards,

Zach_R

0 Kudos
gerrythemole
Joining in
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I have also had a sudden spike in my phone bill.  The phone in question is registered in my name and I pay the bills, but essentially it is my wife's.  She does not use the internet much at all, or play any games.  She just uses it as a phone or text or whatsapp.  It is SIM only 300mb, 300minutes, unlimited texts.  We are a good Virgin WiFi at home, and she has ALWAYS been within her limit.  Why has 'her' phone suddenly spiked from £5 to £30 - ouch!  If I could post a screen shot you would see there is a small data usage every hour of the day right through the night. My wife did speak to Virgin to try to solve it (after I verified who I was and gave permission) but they have obviously fobbed her off.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi gerrythemole, 

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear about this. 

What did the Mobile team advise when your wife called in?

^Martin

0 Kudos
BSPN99
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I've had something similar over the last week.I'm on pay as you go and hardly use my Android phone. In the last week I've had five £2 charges for internet charges(the whole of my last £10 top up) .The bill shows small amounts at hourly intervals sometimes in the middle of the night. As far as  I knew data was turned OFF but when I checked it was ON.I didn't turn it on intentionally and I doubt if I did it accidently.When  I checked the data it was mainly for Google play services and for backgound data.There is setting to disable background data for each app.

So it might be an Android problem more than a Virgin one although Virgin are getting the money.Is it possible to block data from my Virgin account?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi BSPN99,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear about the unexpected charges. 

We can turn off Mobile data access for you from our side if this is something you still want?

^Martin

BSPN99
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Yes thank you .That would be good.What do I need to do?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi BSPN99,

Apologies for the delayed response. If you still wish we can get this turned off for you?

^Martin

0 Kudos