Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Shockingly bad customer service

I am currently in Spain (part of EU). When I arrived my phone wouldn't work at all "your sim does not allow connection to this network" after spending far too much time trying to contact virgin customer services I eventually managed to Skype them using a friend's laptop/Skype account. I was told that my settings were correct but she would reset them anyway & told to wait 24 hours.

Nothing happened so I called back. This time the man i got was very rude, spoke down to me like an idiot the entire conversation. Told me it was my fault my phone didn't work because i hadn't called them before i left UK. I explained that I had followed the step by step instructions on the Virgin website which tell you to switch on roaming via your phone and "now you're all set to go". His reply was shocking "madam, you have to understand that not everything you read online is 100% correct" so i pointed out that the page clearly states it was updated 30 days ago. He told me he would reset my settings and i should wait 30mins before turning my phone on and off again.

Once again nothing happened so i rang back again. To be told that all resets take 24 hours. Getting impatient about being lied to I insisted that the problem be fixed. The lady "Denise" put me on hold for a while and asked me to remove my SIM card. It worked! After a 20 min phone call my phone was working. So why why why was i made to wait 24 hours in the 1st place? All credit to Denise. She was brilliant. My friend's skype account ran out of credit and we got cut off but she called me back to make sure it had worked & left me a voicemail. 

I wanted to thank her so i called virgin from my now working phone. The lady i got was not able to connect me to denise so i just thanked her instead. Rather than just taking my thank you. She decided to lecture me about how this problem had been my fault because i had not phoned virgin to tell them i was going abroad. She also told me that "not everything online is correct" i pointed out that if virgin want to be told over the phone about trips abroad they should put that on the help page. The help page is wrong.

So a few hours of perfectly working phone pass and suddenly my data turns off and won't turn back on.

I call virgin again. 4th time in 3 days. I am told that despite having 60gb of data to use this month (total allowance) and having 52gb left... I'd been cut off for reaching the "fair usage limit" !!!! This is the 1st time I've ever heard that term. I was shocked . I'm paying for data why can't I use it? 

I've since researched this issue and low and behold yes if your service provider gives you cheap data they can cap it when roaming. Why was i not told this? When i bought the phone only 5 months ago, telling the salesman that i needed it to work in europe. He assured me that i could use my allowances "roam like home". Lies again. 

The virgin website says that I'll be capped at £51 when data roaming and that they'll text me when i hit £40... that never happened. I've just been cut off. So in a foreign country i have no maps, no translation. But.... we all know that nothing you read online is accurate right? So clearly the bit about capping and charges and warning texts is all a load of rubbish too!

I have never been more frustrated and angry with any other company in my life. I've been misled, mis-sold, lied to and belittled.

I'm typing this on borrowed wifi signal because I was told that my allowed 7gb of roaming data would refresh on 10th April. 

I just tried to increase my call plan (because all the literature says you can do this. Up or down one tariff each 30 days if you like) but the website tells me there are no plans available to me currently. 

I'm seriously angry and depressed about this whole situation .

Does anyone have any suggestions??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Shockingly bad customer service

You could nip to a shop and buy a Spanish aim card for data?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks but that misses the point. I bought this phone and signed a 2 year contract in order to use it abroad. I travel for work and am currently in Spain for a couple of months. I explained this to the salesman from virgin. He ASSURED ME i could use my phone abroad exactly as at home. But that's a total lie.  If i buy a spanish SIM, I'll need another handset too. Can't keep switching SIMs in this phone. Extra expense on top of what i pay virgin. Plus a spanish SIM to give me sufficient data for what i need will cost an absolute fortune!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sallystar80,

Welcome and thanks for posting. My apologies for this. There's a lot going on in this thread so I'll try my best to cover as much as possible.

I don't think it has anything to do with the roaming data cap. You've only just gone to Spain so to hit that in a few days would be some high usage. Your issue could be related to this here, especially if you were connected to that network.

What make and model of handset are you using?

What local network are you connected to?

Do you have screenshots of your APN settings?

Look forward to your response.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team

Can make calls, but no data? Check your "Virgin Mobile APN settings"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Rich.

Thanks for the reply. 

Its highly likely that I've hit 7gb since i was watching Netflix... assuming that i had 52gb of data to use by 10th April. 

The man i spoke to at customer services specifically said that I'd hit my fair usage limit of 7gb.

I just think that capping someone at less than a quarter of their allowance is wholly unfair especially when not once was this mentioned during the sales process. I simply would not have purchased this phone on that tariff if i had known.

Furthermore since my original post I've had yet more problems. I tried to change my plan (since I'm on a flexible plan that i should be allowed to change each month but never have) and the website said "there are no plans available to you currently" um, what? Why not?

Then in desperation yesterday i bought a 3gb data add on for £20. It doesn't work.

I have now spoken with 6 different people at virgin over the last 6 days and they all say the same thing "your settings are fine but I'll reset them now anyway" 

Calls and texts are working fine now. Since the fabulous Denise did her thing to fix that. But I'm still without data.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sorry. I'm using a 2017 Samsung A5 

I'm currently on Movistar i think although its set to auto scan networks and connect.

And I'll go get a screenshot now ...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot_20180401-122207.png

Screenshot_20180401-122129.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Sallystar80,

Apologies for the delay in response. The EU data allowance isn't your full allowance, it's based on what you pay for your tariff per month. You can use see this on the Calculate your Pay Monthly EU fair data usage help page.

So if you've used 7GB then it's likely you've exceeded the fair use limit. That still doesn't explain why you can't use data though as you should still be able to access it, you just will have to pay the surcharge.

Everything looks fine but you've not given screenshots of the settings within the APN part so I can't say whether they're 100% correct.

Regardless of that, I'm not sure why you have that many to choose from as they're not needed. You only need one titled Virgin Media Mobile Internet so you can delete the rest.

The correct APN settings you need can be found here. You may also be able to click on the 3 dots, and then reset to default.

Rich
Forum Team

Can make calls, but no data? Check your "Virgin Mobile APN settings"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I understand how to calculate fair usage (now) but why was i not told? I would not have signed this 2 year contract if i had been told. Its useless to me. I clearly told the sales person what i needed and then he sold me this phone.

Last year i was with EE and could use my entire allowance while roaming. Why would I think this would be any different? I would have happily paid more to get the data i wanted but Virgin offered me this deal and assured me it would work.

It doesn't. They mis-sold my 2 year contract. My phone does not meet the one requirement I asked for!! ONE THING... DATA. That is all i needed and i don't have it.

Virgin is an awful awful company with absolutely dreadful customer services dept who are rude. I have written a formal complaint letter .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sallystar80,

I'm sorry to hear that you weren't advised of the roaming fair usage policy when taking out your tariff and that your customer experience with us has not been to the standard we expect to provide.

I would like to look into this further for you, but will need to take more details first. I will send you a private message requesting more information so that I can assist with this issue. Just click on the envelope icon at the top of this page.

Kind Regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Running out of data? Check out our top Mobile data tips

0 Kudos