Menu
Pest
Dialled in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Premium rate phone line for reporting a fault??

I had to call to report a fault on my broadband recently, 25-June-2020 and have just found I was billed £12.47 for the privilege! 

Is the Virgin fault line a premium rate number? I wasn't aware. And how can reporting a failure in the Virgin service be chargeable to the customer?

Any help or views appreciated.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Premium rate phone line for reporting a fault??

Hello

Which number did you call, VM don't use a premium rate number it is either 150 from a VM line or 0345 454 1111 from other phones / mobile.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Pest
Dialled in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

I Googled the number and it seems like it's happen'd to others?

Cheers.

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

who gave you that number to call? as the number listed in virgins website is teh 0345 or 150 number.

virgin can't be blamed if you call a number that isn't advertised as being the number to call.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Pest
Dialled in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It's the contact phone number for 'Customer Care' I was given a while back. 

Because my Virgin Broadband was down I had to use the only number I had to report the fault. 

I've just looked it up and found it (and the 0845) sales line are premium. Nice. 

I'll use something else next time. 

0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Rising star
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That was a number Virgin Media used to use.

Seems annoying that they still connect calls on that number instead of giving out a free of charge message of the new number.

For future reference there is a website called www.saynoto0870.com that you can enter numbers such as this and it will give you a standard or free number to call as an alternative.  The site has been on the go for years and works with all different types of numbers.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
newapollo
Hero
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi backtothefuture,

Agree, that's a great site that I've used over the years.

Most company's now use local rate/free numbers, however whenever I see a number such as 0843/0844/0845 I always check for an alternative, as I can never remember if they are chargeable on my plan.

As an aside, I used to work in a call centre, and advise customers to use that site for the "freephone number" if I knew they would need to call in more than once.

When they used it, the number still came through into the outsourced call centre, and bypassed the queue and the IVR system.

The company I worked for weren't paid for the call since it wasn't picked up by the IVR system and thus wasn't added to the call logs. 

I was often in trouble for giving out that site address 😜

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pest

Please can I ask how long ago it was that a Virgin Media representative gave you the 0845 number?  As we've not actively advertised that number in years.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Pest
Dialled in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

Not sure, I just had it stored in my phone contacts to use when needed. I've updated it now so no bother. 

Regards. 

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That's great and thanks for coming on here to get an update.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos